MGB567
Barrie Braxton

(38 posts)

04/26/2015 12:13AM

Main British Car:

Drive by wire aka fly by wire
Posted by: MGB567
Date: March 20, 2017 05:24AM

I've been searching but so far come up empty. Has anyone integrated a DBW/FBW into their EFI inducted Rover V8 conversion. I was looking at Haltech's Elite 2000 with DBW but what gas pedal? I thought maybe I could use a Tilton 3 pedal along with their DBW throttle linkage system (+ sensor). Anyone been there?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Drive by wire aka fly by wire
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 21, 2017 10:18PM

I don't have any advice about electronic throttle pedals. All I know is they first appeared on big diesel trucks back around 1989 or 1990. In the North American market, WIlliams Controls made most of them. They were a Portland Oregon based manufacturer. Moved production to China, then sold off.) I expect much smaller/lighter pedals can be found in junkyards now.

My question is: what's your motivation for going that direction? I'd guess you might be able to do cruise control very elegantly... Or maybe you just dislike cable controls?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Drive by wire aka fly by wire
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: March 22, 2017 01:02PM

My question would also be why?
ETC is a costly, complicated, failure prone system that doesn't have any noticeable benefit to the hobbyist that I can see.
They are used extensively by the OEMs for many good reasons. First and foremost is cost as it eliminates several sub systems.
Things like cruise control, idle speed, rev limiting and power derating are all handled by one unit.
Second is that the ECU now has full control of the engine for things like power control during ABS and traction control operation.
Power derating during shifts is also a big appeal. This allows for smaller, lighter, less complicated (cheaper) multi speed automatics. As the shift occurs the power is momentarily reduced. This reduces the need for the larger clutches and gears required to handle the shock load of the shift.
It also makes the trans simpler as mechanisms to maintain an acceptable shift feel are no longer incorporated into the transmission hardware.
The first ETC units were used on diesels to allow for improved EGR function. The first gasoline versions that I can remember were very crude units that went ahead of the regular mechanical throttle. They were used to throttle back the engine during traction control activation.
The addition of another computer to control a inherently simple system seems at odds.
So, to me, I don't see any advantage to us at the moment.
But it would be pretty cool to pull it off. So there is that. :-)

Live like you mean it.
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.