Chessington Surrey
(34 posts)

07/05/2017 02:19AM

Main British Car:
Mgb gt 1975 3.9 rover

3.9 rv8 coolant pioes
Posted by: ricey
Date: October 31, 2017 02:46PM

Guys getting there slowly with the conversion but need check somethingb on plumbing please. I am using 3.9 engine with both outlets at the back of the pump open . I am running a edelbrock manifold and Currently I have taken the outlet on the left to the inlet manifold bypass in the thermostat housing at the front, then from the back of the manifold I have connected to the top outlet on the heater matrix. The lower outlet from the heater matrix goes straight back to the other outlet at the back of the water pump.

Can anyone confirm if this right ? It's running 4 barrel Weber 500 on a edelbrock 3.5 performer manifold.

Cheers

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: 3.9 rv8 coolant pioes
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 01, 2017 06:25AM

Sounds about right Phil. Just remember two things. First your pressure differential. Pressure is lowest at the pump inlet (Line to the bottom of the radiator), highest at the pump outlet (transfer ports to the water jackets) and intermediate elsewhere. Max flow comes from max pressure differential. Secondly, coolant picks up heat as it travels through the block and heads, front to rear and then rear to front. More heat from the heads probably.

So in general, hottest water is at the front of the manifold, but these do not usually connect the rear ports (blocked off) so flow through the intake is from front to rear if the heater is turned on, otherwise from the front ports to the thermostat. The pressure differential across the radiator and thermostat the way you have it is quite adequate.

Jim

ricey
Phil Rice
Chessington Surrey
(34 posts)

07/05/2017 02:19AM

Main British Car:
Mgb gt 1975 3.9 rover

Re: 3.9 rv8 coolant pioes
Posted by: ricey
Date: November 01, 2017 02:12PM

Thanks for that Jim nice answer cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.