Dubuque,Iowa
(32 posts)

07/01/2009 07:47AM

Main British Car:
1972 midget

S-10 Rear end Swap
Posted by: mlieb
Date: February 28, 2010 04:10PM

Well I`ve been gone for a while but I made it back!!
Just got a nice rear end from a 93 S-!0 And want to make it work in my Midget.
I have the 2.8 engine and T5 transmission (from a camaro) in.
I know it will need to be narrowed but could use some ideas on suspension and getting things to go together.
Any help??

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Re: S-10 Rear end Swap
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: March 04, 2010 08:37AM

Is the midget coil springs? One thing we do for the Vega is swap out the perches and brackets from the Vega 6.5" housing to the S10 housing. Are you planning on shortening it yourself? One thing I've seen other guys doing was using thick angle iron and clamps to hold everything straight and together.

ANybody else?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: S-10 Rear end Swap
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: March 04, 2010 08:50AM

Mike, it really depends on just how much you want to fabricate as far as the rear suspension. I stuck with the stock leaf springs (I did use the heavier 1500 versions) and just added some traction (anti tramp) bars and a panhard rod. Simple and reasonably effective for a street car. If you want to go with something like coil over shocks then you should look at the suspension designed by Brian Kraus for his Mazda powered car. [www.britishv8.org] That shouldn't be difficult to do, and although he ran the shocks up through the floor to tie into the roll cage, you could easily mount them underneath if you wish.
Clearance with the GM rear axle is good around the center section and the axle tubes aren't that much larger than the original Midget items so not much suspension movement lost there before you get into the bump stops. If you do decide to go with the leaf springs I found that stock MGB U bolts fit the GM axle and I used B spring plates and insulators as well and the stock Midget shocks should fit up to those perfectly if you want to keep the lever action shocks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.