(2 posts)

05/14/2018 12:31PM

Main British Car:
still looking! Olds 215

authors avatar
Olds head stamping
Posted by: vipert4
Date: May 14, 2018 01:06PM

I am looking at acquiring a BOP engine to rebuild and eventually swap into an MGB. I've got a line on one that is supposedly complete but disassembled. The seller believes it is a 4bbl high compression Olds motor. I understand that the cylinder head stamping should start with an "SG" or "ST" followed by 7 digits. The stamping he was able to send me starts with an "S" and ends with a "G."

Is this really a high compression example or is it the low compression version. If it is the low compression version could I swap the pistons, say, Buick high compression units, to get back to something in the neighborhood of 10.5:1? Or is there not enough ptv or head clearance on these engines to get to that level with that combination. I am only looking to make around 200 hp for a street driver, nothing radical.

Thanks for any input
image000000.jpg

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Olds head stamping
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 14, 2018 02:47PM

From the D&D website...head part nos.
What you show is an engine serial no....suffix 'G' indicates an engine equipped with a 4bbl carburetor.

Olds head part nos.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 02:51PM by ex-tyke.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 14, 2018 03:54PM

We have our own chart. ;)

[www.britishv8.org]

As Graham stated that is the engine number, you need the right side head number.

Olds 215 Engine Numbers:

[oldsjetfire.com]

vipert4
Tom Andreoni
Rochester, NY
(2 posts)

05/14/2018 12:31PM

Main British Car:
still looking! Olds 215

authors avatar
Posted by: vipert4
Date: May 15, 2018 08:48AM

Thanks both of you for clearing that up. I had asked the seller to look on the front side of the right cylinder head but that is what he was able to come up with. At least that confirms it's a 4 bbl and therefore some version of the high compression heads which is what I am looking for. When I get my hands on the engine this weekend I'll verify the proper cylinder head code.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.