(9 posts)

03/08/2009 07:13PM

Main British Car:
Rover SD1 Rover V8 3.5l

How much for a Rover V8 with FI?
Posted by: yonexsp
Date: March 13, 2010 10:36AM

I'm looking for a little price advice.

I have a 1984 Rover SD1 VDP Efi which is in immaculate condition. The car has the UK Spec high compression 9.35:1 SD1 engine, and the Australian Federal fuel injection system (Non Cat version).

I am in the middle of buying a used Range Rover 4.6l engine as I would love to have even more power than the current 180hp.

My question is how much is the current engine worth? It has 50,000 miles on it, after a full rebuild and is still installed in the SD1 and runs perfectly. I want to look at some cost recovery from the engine upgrade. I'm in Toronto. I figure it is a perfect drop in for an MG especially with the flat head FI and perfect running order.

Advice greatly accepted.

Sd1 here [www.flickr.com]

This is not an ad, as I won;t be doing the work for a while yet

Thx Ken./
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG

Does anyone know their worth? If it's not I can give it to a buddy who has an MG a conversion on the cheap.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 11:26PM by yonexsp.

pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Re: How much for a Rover V8 with FI?
Posted by: pcmenten
Date: March 16, 2010 03:42PM

What happened? Your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

I think the SD1 engine has some desirable bits for MG conversion use, but its displacement is a disadvantage when there are 3.9/4.0/4.2/4.6 engines coming on the market.

I bought a complete 4.0 (includes EFI and the computer) for $400. I'd say yours is worth at least $250, but you could probably part it out for more on eBay.

yonexsp
Ken Ormsby
Newmarket, ONtario
(9 posts)

03/08/2009 07:13PM

Main British Car:
Rover SD1 Rover V8 3.5l

Posted by: yonexsp
Date: March 16, 2010 04:18PM

Cheers,

decided to cancel the project yesterday, but thanks for the update. I thought i had found a deal for a 4.6 for $800, but looks like was to much as well.

Cheers

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 16, 2010 04:21PM

Well... if you change your mind.

I think you're just going to have to place an ad or two and find out. Your best offer will probably come from someone in the greater Toronto area. The good news is that Toronto is a real hot-bed of BritishV8 activity. You might want to contact Barry Preston at Brooklands (his contact info is in our vendor directory) or Martyn Harvey (send a private message to "harv8"). They're both in Kitchener I think... not too far? They may know someone... BritishV8 classified ads are free, although I'd appreciate a voluntary contribution if your item(s) sell.

Incidentally, Toronto is also the site of the MG2010 annual meet in June, with people traveling from all over North America. The MG Vintage Racer's (eastern) "Focus Event" will be at Mosport June 17-20. A big week of vintage racing. I hope to be there - it'll be great fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 04:22PM by Moderator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.