10/23/2007 03:59PM

Main British Car:
'75 mgb, '74 grille, morspeed bumpers Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Starter bindex?
Posted by: Mr. T
Date: March 16, 2010 08:09PM

Hey Guys,

With a bit of sunshine on Sunday afternoon, I went for a stroll in my b. In my community, about a 1/4 mile from my house it shuts down - able to coast within a couple hundred yards from house and walk it into my garage. Damn lucky, because I had been cruising around Annapolis and had gone across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to and from.

Anyway, after parking in the garage, I turned the key and no ticking from fuel pump, but noise coming from starter - getting late so decided to investigate when I had more time. Just went out to spend a little time on problem. Son turns key while I'm under the car and fuel pump ticks now - so working. Starter making winding/tapping noise and no load - so no engagement with flywheel.

Do you'll think the bendix spring or retainer is broken? Can I get a replacement or do I have to buy another starter? If I have to buy a (small) starter, any recommendations on where to purchase - quick?

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: Starter bindex?
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: March 17, 2010 08:32AM

Tony,

Do you need the standard later Rover style high torque that is horizontal for the solenoid? or the kind the points straight down? I have one of each the late high torque and the early Rover 3500s style.

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 17, 2010 10:04AM

Mike - It's the horizontal high torque - compact compared to other starters I've replaced way in the past. If you could PM with your #, I'll give you a shout if I need one + it would give me the opportunity to take a peak at that chunk of aluminum with 8 large holes - unless it's been quarantined!

Unusual for the starter to go bad while driving - maybe alternator. Coincidentally (maybe not), I replaced a battery terminal the week before, so I'm going to double-check connections.

Thanks, Tony

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: March 17, 2010 12:30PM

Quote:
....so I'm going to double-check connections
That's the first thing I'd check Tony - even go as far as a direct battery hookup to the starter to check function. The fact that the car shut down can also be attributed to a bad/dead battery or connection issue with the charging circuit. (been there - done that!)

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 17, 2010 09:21PM

Will do Graham. Hope that's the issue. Although, probably not a bad idea to have an extra starter/alternator around.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.