Portland, OR
(129 posts)

08/01/2015 12:55PM

Main British Car:
1969 MGB GM 3.4L V6

Repetitive starting problem
Posted by: limey222
Date: March 03, 2018 10:48PM

OK fellow members, this is not the first time I've asked about this problem but it still exists.
Here's the background:
93-95 GM 3.4L V6 + T5
Stock EFI and ECM
The car starts OK and runs great, I drive a few miles and maybe go into a grocery store. When I come back out she just won't start, turns over just fine. If I hold the gas peal down so the ECM shuts off the fuel supply to the injectors to clear out any flooding she will eventually start with a cloud of smoke for 5 seconds. Today however she just wouldn't restart at the grocery store. She never even occasionally fired during multiple attempts. Cranking was very strong but nothing except eventually a strong gas smell. I had to call AAA for a flatbed, after another 10 mins I thought I would try one more time....and yes, she started so I had to cancel the tow truck.

So what have I done to try and solve this over the months, I've replaced the injectors, fuel pressure relief valve, coils and ignition control board, spark plugs, all sensors, etc and the problem still occurs. Fuel pressure is within specs, I see no error codes on my laptop via diagnostic port that I've installed. I replaced the injectors and pressure relief valve because I thought that perhaps one or more cylinders were being flooded due to a leaking injector or a blocked relief valve...but no.

I'm getting pretty desperate right now becasue the cause continues to elude me. Can any one help?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Repetitive starting problem
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 04, 2018 08:58AM

I replied in the same topic post in the MG section.

Bruce R.
Bruce Reigle

(12 posts)

01/10/2019 11:52AM

Main British Car:

Re: Repetitive starting problem
Posted by: Bruce R.
Date: January 21, 2019 12:37PM

Something is getting hot and breaking down. In my s-10 it turned out to be the pickup coil in the distributor, exact same symptoms.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.