(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Engine anti freeze/coolant for aluminum V-8
Posted by: hoffbug
Date: February 01, 2019 09:41PM

This isn't a discussion so much about the Evans coolant

I am more interested about the various types of coolant out from different manufacturers readily available at the parts stores. I've seen the pictures of corrosion of these old parts and seen some personally myself. I'm thinking there has to be something out there better than the high silica green traditional coolant but I am not very well versed on the Honda, BMW, or Volkswagen formulations.

Any insights? With all of the aluminum engines out now there has to be something better than the old green stuff.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Engine anti freeze/coolant for aluminum V-8
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: February 03, 2019 09:15AM

These days, pretty well all modern engines contain aluminum and pretty well all traditional ethylene glycol based products are aluminum compatible - it should identify such on the label. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with using these products in my vehicles.
There is a newer coolant technology that is based on organic acid solvents (OAT) that is purported to last longer without losing cooling.and heat transfer properties....no silica dropout, easier on engine internals, ....
Should be available commercially under many brand names - and more money of course!

woody1640
Keith Wood

(1 posts)

05/20/2016 09:08AM

Main British Car:

Re: Engine anti freeze/coolant for aluminum V-8
Posted by: woody1640
Date: February 03, 2019 09:50PM

A member of our 61-63 Buick group researched antifreeze a couple years back. His recommendation is zerex go5. Said he uses it with good results.

But you do need an overflow/puke tank if you don't already have one. They eliminate the "air pocket" that initially causes the corrosion.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.