Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Are coated bearings worth the money?
Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: March 21, 2010 10:33PM

We've all heard the old saying, "talk is cheap"; having said that, I just read a review in "Engine Builders" and they seem to support the theory behind the bearing coating and its claims however there's very few live feedback from users therefore "talk is still cheap". I need proof.

I plan in refreshing a Ford 331 stroker with rings and bearings for my MGB. Does anyone have experience with coated bearings? Also, would it be a good idea to install Total Seal gapless rings? The pistons are forged SRP, 030" over and the crankshaft is a "Scat" 1018 nod iron. I would appreciate any expert advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 12:51PM by Moderator.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: Does coated bearing worth the money?!?!?!?!
Date: March 22, 2010 10:08PM

Sorry guys, maybe I should have named some bearing brands, "Speed-Pro, Duroshield" or "Clevite, H-Series". As far as rings, I heard that racing rings called "Black Nitro" do an excellent job sealing the compression. It all sounds good when you read their advertisements, but, there's nothing like some good feedbacks from end users. This is my first conversion, and just like some MG owners on the forum that wants to go high performance, I find myself second guessing the H/P engine components choices out there.

For one, at the proper time I plan in pushing it to brutal red line punishment and I'd like to keep the engine together with all of the latest technology advancement. These bearings and rings are almost double the cost and I just wanted to tap in some of you guy's advance expertise to see if it justifies the expense. Again, any input is appreciated.

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Re: Does coated bearing worth the money?!?!?!?!
Posted by: crashbash
Date: March 24, 2010 09:41AM

I'm kind of thinking that any coating is going to be short term at best. May be good for race engines? No experience here, just opinion. I'm going to run synthetic oil after petroleum break-in with an accusump to pre pressure engine on start. Engine should last a long time.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Are coated bearings worth the money?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 24, 2010 01:17PM

These guys are right near where I live. [www.polydyn.com]

I had them coat my headers & exhaust. But, their main business seemed to be coating engine (as well as turbos, pumps & similar) internals. Lots of drag & race car pics on the wall from various customers.

For a regular street driven car I'm not sure the cost is justified. Not sure what motor you're using, but it's not uncommon for motors to go well over 150k miles before needing a simple rebuild so unless you'll be racing it or building a very high revving motor, its probably unnecessary expense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 01:17PM by rficalora.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: March 24, 2010 01:51PM

Jacques, I suppose, part of the equation is, your budget for the build ? I actually, believe what I read in "Engine Masters" magazine. Every engine they have compaired, makes more horsepower and torque with these type of coatings than with-out.You may want to peep, "TechLine Coatings", on the webb. I would, "especially" consider coated main bearings, for huge, like 3.-3.25" Buicks,(allowed them to use a cheaper, cast crank). You may want to check-out an issue and draw your own conclusions. Good Luck. roverman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 11:34PM by roverman.

flitner
John Fenner
Miami Fl
(168 posts)

03/11/2010 10:58AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB 350 CHEVY

Posted by: flitner
Date: March 24, 2010 02:03PM

I've never checked into coated bearings, although I have sprayed and baked moly kote onto bearings on a new build and no problems on dry starts.
As for the Total Seal rings I have used them in an aircraft race engine for airboat racing, you could hang on the propeller and would not leak down until you backed off a bit.
Alot less blowby using 40% nitrometane/methanol milking the oil as with regular rings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 02:03PM by flitner.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 28, 2010 12:42PM

Art, you are right in mentioning "my budget for the build". At this point, I'm still not sure if it's worth the money but I'm convinced that "coated bearings" will give you the extra protection under different situations, such as, cold start, overheated oil and increased RPM.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: March 28, 2010 07:18PM

Aw yes...cold start, slightly different issue than, first fire-up. For my $, I'll go with solenoid controlled, remote, oil accumulator,(accu-sump) is a brand of same. Can use it,,(pre-pressurized), for first fire-up and subsequent cold starts.Moroso 1 pc. bottle, is cheap insurance. Good Luck, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.