Gary Magno

(1 posts)

08/01/2019 12:11PM

Main British Car:

What engine problem is this pleaese?
Posted by: garymagno110
Date: August 01, 2019 12:19PM

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my 2000 honda civic vti manual lately. It overheated last september so i had the cylinder head gasket replaced. Then after 2 months it overheated again, so the cylinder head gasket was replaced again and the head cylinder was resurfaced by a machine shop.
i noticed however that i needed to add water to the radiator every morning, so i had the radiator overhauled and the hoses checked. Still the same problem and then i noticed whitish/brownish color in the oil dipstick. Actually I tried to search for answers through online contents. But I can't find one.

The mechanic then tightened the cylinder head bolts from 65 t0 75 torque and changed the oil and filter. I still see traces of whitish color in the dipstick but not as much as before.
Although the temp remains at half or normal, i still need to add water everyday (about the amount of a small bottle of mineral water).
What can be the real problem? I need all the professional advice you can give. Thanks.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2461 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: What engine problem is this pleaese?
Posted by: mgb260
Date: August 01, 2019 04:36PM

You may have a cracked block or head from the over heating.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Re: What engine problem is this please?
Posted by: 88v8
Date: August 02, 2019 04:14AM

If it's cracked, you're in for a big bill.
Can you get this stuff over there in the US ?
[www.kseal.com]

I can vouch for its long-term effectiveness from personal experience, it may save you a new engine.

Ivor

302GT
Larry Shimp

(240 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: August 17, 2019 09:24AM

Subaru has had a head gasket problem for years to the point where cars are filled at the factory with a cooling system sealer. If the sealer is left out, the head gasket will develop a leak within about 10,000 miles. I once had the water pump replaced on my 2002 WRX and the mechanic failed to put sealer back in the cooling system. I noticed the engine started using water so I put in two containers of the Subaru sealer (normally only one is needed). This solved the problem and it was still good when I sold the car 2 years later (with 249,000 miles on it). The sealer is called a cooling system "conditioner" which, I guess, saves Subaru embarrassment. One advantage over the usual sealers that it leaves no residue in the radiator. The sealer is available on Amazon.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: August 18, 2019 04:48AM

No residue... well that's worth knowing.

I used K-Seal in the wetliner engine of my Pug 205 GTI to fix a gasket/liner issue.

Also in an RV8 that had rotten core plugs, in particular the one at the back that needs the engine pulling.
It was fine for years & years, but whenever I needed to drain the water, I had to remove the bottom hose because if I tried to use the drain tap, all the little metal beads in the K-Seal would rush to the 'hole' and block it !!

Ivor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.