Jukka Harkola

(268 posts)

04/08/2009 06:50AM

Main British Car:
Morris Minor Rover V8

RV8 oil gallery detail
Posted by: minorv8
Date: September 09, 2019 03:28AM

I posted the question on UK V8 forum but will post it here as well. Some background: whilst cleaning a 4.6 block I pulled all oil gallery plugs and found an odd detail at the front oil galleries. These are the short galleries running at 45 degree angle just behind the front china wall. What I found is a brass sleeve at the top of the gallery, just beneath the blanking plug. The gallery plug is 9/16" and the hole in the sleeve is about 1/2". It looks kind of restriction but I fail to understand what it would restrict. Flow to the blanking plug ?

I pulled the said plugs from another 4.6 block and it has the same brass sleeves. Since they are there they must serve some purpose. I doubt that they were fitted just for fun.
Oil gallery.jpg

mercmad
Ron Bunting

(14 posts)

06/27/2019 01:34AM

Main British Car:

Re: RV8 oil gallery detail
Posted by: mercmad
Date: October 15, 2019 06:55PM

I suspect that during manufacture they were fitted to prevent the blanking plugs from being inserted too far. The tooling is probably from the early days and needed to be up graded to using a step counterbore tool which may have been the case later on. . With BLMC anything was possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.