England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Another aluminium flywheel question
Posted by: waterbucket
Date: May 11, 2020 02:16PM

I am considering using a Fidanza 186111 aluminium flywheel on a Jaguar AJV6 engine in a MGB. The 186111 is for a Mazda version of the AJV6 engine used in the Mazda 6 so it will fit but the problem may be the ring gear. In the Mazda (like the Ford Contour/Mondeo) the starter motor is mounted on the gearbox and engages with the flywheel from the clutch side, but if I install it on the S type version of the engine then the starter motor will engage from the engine side. The question is will this work? from photos it appears that the ring gear is fitted from the engine side so will that be beneficial? Your thoughts please
After writing the above I find that although the above info is correct Fidanza 186251 also fits the Ford V6 Duratec. Over here a relatively common practice is to use the flywheel from any of the Mondeo (Contour) V6 engines, however they are quite heavy and by the time you buy one and have it machined you are looking at $250+ So can anyone point me in the right direction of which Fidanza flywheel is correct as well as whether it will work anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 02:53PM by waterbucket.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Another aluminium flywheel question
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 11, 2020 03:25PM

Philip, check your ring gear tooth count and the distance from the block face, If those are both the same it should work. Sometimes the teeth are beveled on the engagement side but not always.

Jim

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Re: Another aluminium flywheel question
Posted by: waterbucket
Date: May 16, 2020 02:35AM

Jim
After much checking not only which one but the price shipped to the UK after duty and taxes I have decided to stick with the original cast iron flywheel. I will get it lightened by a few pounds but it will save upwards of $600

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.