Bruce R.
Bruce Reigle

(12 posts)

01/10/2019 11:52AM

Main British Car:

Rover Electronic Distributor Wiring
Posted by: Bruce R.
Date: August 11, 2020 05:48PM

Can someone out there draw me a little diagram on how to wire a Rover electronic distributor ? There’s 2 wires coming out of the thing, one red and one blue. I got the distributor and coil in a junkyard and want to put it on my 215 Buick engine. Thanks !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 10:14AM by MGBV8.

minorv8
Jukka Harkola

(268 posts)

04/08/2009 06:50AM

Main British Car:
Morris Minor Rover V8

Re: Rover Electronic Distributor Wiring
Posted by: minorv8
Date: August 13, 2020 12:39AM

Here is some info of Rover electronic distributors from Rimmersbros.com site:

With the introduction of the Rover SD1 saloon, in 1976, came a new electronic ignition distributor, the Lucas ‘OPUS’ 35DE8. This was a completely self-contained unit, with the exception of a ballast resistor pack mounted away from the distributor.

In 1982, the 35DE8 was replaced by the Lucas 35DM8, an improved design with the ignition module located away from the main distributor (and therefore away from engine heat).

In 1985, an updated version of the DM8 - the DLM8 - was fitted to the Rover SD1. This distributor is similar to the DM8 but has an ignition module attached to the side of the distributor casing.

Other V8 vehicles, such as TR8 and Range Rover, have been fitted with versions of the same distributors, typically featuring different advance characteristics to suit their particular application. As stated above, most distributors are interchangeable, but early (pre-1976) and late (1976 on) units have a different oil pump drive gear:

Early are known as “rigid shaft”, with a tooth on the end of the distributor shaft which engages in a slot in the oil pump shaft.
Late units are known as “flexible shaft”, and feature a flexibly mounted skew gear on the end of the distributor shaft, which has a slot that engages with a tooth on the oil pump shaft. (see also Timing Cover and Oil Pump).

Check the code on dizzy body. Blue and red wire would suggest that yours is a 35DM8 that requires an external amplifer.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Rover Electronic Distributor Wiring
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 21, 2020 09:46PM

Pop the cap and rotor and post a pic of whats inside. We can figure it out from there.

Live like you mean it!
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.