Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Tuning to cope with ethanol
Posted by: 88v8
Date: January 12, 2021 10:04AM

Apologies for linking to another forum, but this may be of general interest [theamcforum.com]

Wondered what your experience and fixes have been.

Over here in the UK, we have E10 but super grades are E5 and that's what I use even in my 8.5cr AMC engine.
However we are threatened with E15 and the eventual availability of E5 is doubtful.
My new Edelbrock carb on my RV8 three years ago, had a sticker which voided the warranty with E15.

Ivor

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Tuning to cope with ethanol
Posted by: roverman
Date: January 13, 2021 07:38PM

Can you get E85 ? I know wrong direction for gas lovers-but it works like a cheap race fuel. Might want to peep, "Performance E85" forum. Might want to consider an ethanol compatible carb and re-jet. Art.

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Re: Tuning to cope with ethanol
Posted by: waterbucket
Date: January 21, 2021 02:11PM

Art
We have very little E10 and I would not think we will ever see E85. The main reason is the cost of the raw ingredient, in the USA it is Corn (Maize) in Europe for climatic reasons it is wheat. The price of wheat is too high to make it viable although a small amount is produced. Fifteen years ago when the price of wheat was on the floor there were plans to build two big ethanol plants in the UK but as soon as the price rose these plans were abandoned. I think we will bypass ethanol and go straight to electricity.
Now the European farmer is eternally grateful for the by products of ethanol production, ie Prairie Meal (makes egg yolks golden) and Corn Distillers grains (a good quality protein) for dairy cows a Maize Gluten Feed which is a lower protein lower energy feed used for all types of cattle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.