(19 posts)

08/22/2009 09:33AM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB GT Rover 3.9 V8

3.9 EFI Fuel pump advice
Posted by: kmcrae
Date: May 14, 2010 07:16AM

Hi,

I am after some advice for the fuel system for the 3.9 EFI V8 MGB as there are a few options without cutting up the fuel tank.( I would prefer to avoid this)

1. Feeder pump with HP pump via swirl pot
2. Large fuel filter to act as a swirl pot then HP pump.

Which is the best set up to run which works well and is not over complicated, there seems to be conflicting views on which is best?

Do you need a charcoal filter/ vapour recovery system for the fuel tank? If so what do you need and how is it best done?

Can you include a few pictures if you have them to point me in the right direction please?

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Re: 3.9 EFI Fuel pump advice
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: May 14, 2010 03:44PM

Most cars from around 1980 including the TR8 and the Rover SD1 used the swirl pot and secondary fuel pump. It was the easiest solution because the cars were carbed before that and they didn't want a massive redesign. I know the BMWs of the time did the same. With the MGB, can't you just put in a single high pressure external pump and a return line. The TR8 and Rover had in tank low pressure pumps that were the same as the ones used on the carbed cars, and external high pressure ones. I have a Rover SD1 set up somewhere in the basement if you need to see that. They were mounted on the inside of the rear fender behind a trim panel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.