Randy Howard
Everett, WA
(24 posts)

03/30/2020 08:46PM

Main British Car:

A Bit OT GM 3.6 Question
Posted by: blacktop
Date: May 31, 2023 10:59PM

I am writing this question to this forum because some folks here are familiar with the GM 3.6 V-6 engine. I happen to own a 2008 Saturn Vue Redline mid-size SUV that uses the GM 3.6 engine. It is very much like a Camaro in disguise as it is amazingly quick and can burn rubber from a standing start on dry pavement.

The problem I have been having is that it often misses and bucks between 1,000 and 2,000 RPM and I don't know why. Once up to 3,000 RPM and beyond it runs great. I have been reading a little on the Saturn forum and it is not unusual for their engines to have faulty coils, the type which slips over the spark plugs like an oversized plug boot. The car now has 160k miles on it and I am wondering if this is the culprit. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? And what is a known good brand for replacing this type of coil? Thanks.

Randy

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(250 posts)

05/28/2020 10:10AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT (working on a Sebring project) Buick 300-4 V8

Re: A Bit OT GM 3.6 Question
Posted by: Airwreckc
Date: June 02, 2023 11:27AM

Randy, not sure if the coils are the problem--they certainly may be. Have you tried a code reader to see if you are throwing any codes--particularly in "live" mode while you're running the engine through these RPM ranges? I use the BlueDriver reader, which is relative inexpensive and fairly informative.

JuliaIX7
JuliaIX7 JuliaIX7

(2 posts)

12/18/2023 06:11AM

Main British Car:

Re: A Bit OT GM 3.6 Question
Posted by: JuliaIX7
Date: December 18, 2023 06:13AM

It sounds like you may be experiencing issues with the ignition coils on your GM 3.6 V-6 engine. Faulty ignition coils can indeed cause misfires and performance issues

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.