62Healeyhacker
Jerry Jackman

(19 posts)

04/11/2009 10:58PM

Main British Car:

reworking the clutch slave cylinder setup
Posted by: 62Healeyhacker
Date: August 13, 2010 11:49AM

The mount I made for the slave cylinder on my Healey/Buick 215" flexes and is not perfectly aligned. It there a way to keep the slave setup or am I going to be forced to get a hydraulic throwout bearing. The frame rails on the AH are only 17" apart so the space to work in is tight. Does anyone make a mount which bolts to the bellhousing? I have seen these on SB Ford engines.
If I need to resort to a hydraulic TO bearing which is reliable for the least amount of money? I've noticed an extreme variation in prices.
Any ideas?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: reworking the clutch slave cylinder setup
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 13, 2010 01:03PM

Sometimes home-made parts don't work out and you get to go back to the drawing board... but the cost of making a second (differently designed) bracket is probably less than buying a new slave cylinder.

Just for reference, this is what my home-made bracket looks like:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-K.jpg

(Credit where credit is due... this bracket was actually designed and made for my car by one of my buddies, Rob Henson. So it's home-made, but not by me. The strut that runs forward to an oil pan bolt was obviously an afterthought; added to stiffen things up. It's simply half inch box tubing with washers at both ends... very "minimal" but it does the job.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 01:10PM by Moderator.

7sand8s
Dennis Miller

(36 posts)

09/21/2008 10:47PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 7sand8s
Date: August 13, 2010 02:18PM

Curtis
Could you give us more info?
Brand and Part Number of slave cylinder.
Thanks
PS A great design!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 13, 2010 03:53PM

It's a Girling cylinder. I've noticed that similar cylinders were used on many, many vintage British racecars. For example:
http://www.britishracecar.com/HowardFreeman-Merlyn-11/HowardFreeman-Merlyn-11-BC.jpg

These are available in several sizes/configurations. Start here... [www.pegasusautoracing.com]

Now, I'm not sure I'd use a Girling slave cylinder if I didn't already have one. Some of the new pull-type cylinders are really nifty. Something to keep in mind: I shortened the stock Buick throw-out fork to suit this installation, so there's less leverage and consequently higher pedal effort than the original Buick system would've had. Fitting a diaphragm-type pressure plate (in lieu of Buick's old three-finger plate) got pedal effort back down.

62Healeyhacker
Jerry Jackman

(19 posts)

04/11/2009 10:58PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 62Healeyhacker
Date: August 14, 2010 01:32AM

Nice looking bracket. I'm sure the angled support to the pan bolt is needed because a lot of pressure is put against the bracket and the single bolt on the side of the block isn't adequate.
Many thanks for the prompt responses.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: August 14, 2010 07:36PM

Jerry, there are also, "push/pull" slave cylinders available. Their sold by companies like Stock Car Products, etc. Sometimes "pulling" the arm is easier. Good Luck, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.