1931s/x
james correa

(7 posts)

03/02/2008 08:30PM

Main British Car:

3.9 distributor?
Posted by: 1931s/x
Date: March 03, 2008 04:07PM

hi, new guy here. have been looking for a 215 or rover v8 ofr my 31 essex coupe for almost a year, the first one i found was a complete 63 buick hp 4 brl high compresion engine complete with auto trans, not a trans id use but still it was really comlete. my dad talked me out of it telling me how they had a lot of issues. so i reasearched it for a while and from what ive read im kind of glad i didnt buy it. so friday i picked up an early 90s 3.9, it was either that one ro a coild pack 95-96 ish 4.0 that was in the junkyard i figured id be better off with the one that has the distributor as im going to run a carb on it and as few electronics as possible. im going for an early 60s hotrod look with my car, i really want to go with the offy 2x2 intake.
so anyway what are my options for a distributor? can i run the rover distributor with some kind of ignition box? it looks like it has a magnetic pickup but with 3 wires? one guy told me i cant put a buick distributor in my rover with out changine the front cover?

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Re: 3.9 distributor?
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: March 07, 2008 09:45AM

I'm pretty sure the distributor for the Rover is reverse rotation from the 215's. Otherwise Buick 350 HEI would work. Anybody else?

1931s/x
james correa

(7 posts)

03/02/2008 08:30PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 1931s/x
Date: March 18, 2008 08:41PM

i was checking some stuff out, it looks like the module has 3 wires but the pickup only has 2. i might try to run the pickup with a mopar box. they use a similar magnetic pickup and i am familiar wih them. pretty easy to set up and trouble free. i havent heard anything about the distributor turning the wrong way but the end of the distributor is different. guy said i can use a unilte they take both gears. im not a real big fan of them as they are kind of tempermental and pricey to fix. pricey to carry a spare module too. then again i was looking at a replacement pickup for the range rover dist, it was $200+ the module was $300+ i dont even know how to wire up the RR module so that getting tossed, maybe ill just stick a mopar pickup in the dist too.

spridget
bill green
Maine
(68 posts)

03/22/2008 01:29PM

Main British Car:
3 1980 TR8, 1 TR7 2 Bugeye Sprite 1 MG midget TR8 3.5 and 5.0, Sprite 1098 and ?

Posted by: spridget
Date: April 29, 2008 07:18PM

The only difference between the Rover and Buick distributor is the gear on the bottom. The Rover and Buick have a slightly different pitch. You must use the same pitch on the cam gear as you use with the distributor. All the timing covers designed for a distributor are basicly the same execpt the timing mark may be different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.