triumph10
Allan Lau

(15 posts)

12/28/2007 12:15PM

Main British Car:

pulley alignment
Posted by: triumph10
Date: January 23, 2011 05:30PM

I purchased a Buick 215 and have rebuilt it putting rover heads on it. It is going into a TR7. I purchased a short shaft water pump and a bracket kit to install a single wire GM alternator. My problem is the crank pulley is way to short to align with the water pump and alternator by about 3/4 of an inch. I purchased a crank pulley that was advertised as a 215 pulley, however the diameter is to large and it hits the water pump pulley. Has anyone else ever ran into this problem?

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Re: pulley alignment
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: January 23, 2011 08:37PM

The Buick v6 comes in different pulley offsets depending on whether they were for front or rear wheel drive. That may be what your are looking at. Be very careful about mixing and matching balancers and lower pulleys from Buick to Rover. The Rover is internally balanced and the Buick is external. I just sent a 4.0 Rover to the machine shop that had badly worn con rod bearings. It had a Buick front cover, harmonic, and lower pulleys. I have run Buick water pumps on my Rover engines before, but it required lots of playing around with pulleys and spacers to make it all work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.