Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Implications of the sale of Jaguar and Land Rover...
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 26, 2008 11:54AM

Jaguar and Rover are being sold by Ford to the Indian company "Tata Motors".

Here's a link to the news story: [www.ananova.com]

Now... I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

What do you think are the chances Tata will put the classic Rover aluminum V8 back into production for Range Rover models?

Here's how I would lay out the case: Tata would probably prefer not to be dependent on Ford for engines. The tooling and supplier base is apparently still viable (and used for service parts). The engine can apparently still be made to meet emission standards. The aluminum V8 is still well-loved by Rover enthusiasts, and already particularly well supported (service and parts) in remote parts of the world. This decision could potentially help Tata increase the market (and potential profitability) of Range Rovers in India and SE Asia.

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

10/23/2007 03:59PM

Main British Car:
'75 mgb, '74 grille, morspeed bumpers Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Re: Implications of the sale of Jaguar and Land Rover...
Posted by: Mr. T
Date: March 26, 2008 09:08PM

I tink you make a verdi verdi good case Mr. Curtis!

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: March 27, 2008 10:03AM

Ta-Ta Motors?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 27, 2008 11:23AM

Makes ya wonder, don't it?

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: March 27, 2008 04:47PM

The British rule of their "sub-continent" India ended within the recent memory of millions of influential Indians and Englishmen still alive today.

Those same Indians and Englishmen revere the brand names of Rover and Jaguar. TATA has instantly captured the reputation of high quality auto manufacturing around the world. TATA is Rover and Jaguar now. India carries the torch for British quality and workmanship. Even the Nano - the world's most inexpensive car - will benefit from this take-over from the the former ruling class.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 28, 2008 11:50AM

I tend to agree. While I'm not a big fan of our (USA) economic policies & the new categories of jobs moving to places like India, China, Russia, etc., the reality TATA is likely to be in a position to afford way more R&D and remain strong/viable for way longer than Ford. So, the good stuff from Rover & Jag is likely to be updated & appear in lots of future products -- including the aluminum block technology. They're not likely to produce a lot of big Rovers or high end Jags for their local market -- I've been to India several times & can tell you there are very few people who could afford one and that's not likely to change in the near term. But, they're also not likely to make moves that alienate the Rover/Jag buyers in the US, Europe & other places -- that's their revenue stream & while US$1.6B is a steal compared to what Ford paid to acquire them, it's a lot of money if you dry up your income off the investment :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.