tips, technology, tools and techniques related to vehicle driveline components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

olds70supreme
Kraig Kapfhamer

(15 posts)

07/15/2009 12:55PM

Main British Car:

Exhaust Manifold Options (Are shorter available?)
Posted by: olds70supreme
Date: March 20, 2011 03:53PM

Hello,

I am doing an engine swap with an Olds 215 engine and am running into clearance problems between the stock manifolds and the firewall. Clearancing the firewall is an option but I was wondering if there were any shorter manifolds available, either GM or Rover vintage. Right now they turn down at the exit of the manifold about 5.5 to 5.75" behind the center of the rearmost exhaust ports on the heads. I assume this was for clearance to the factory ball stud threaded in the block, but I am running a hydraulic throwout bearing clutch setup. It seems to me that there is plenty of room for a gentle, sweeping exit that would be much shorter than the manifolds I have. If I could find a set that were shorter even by 1" it would make my life a lot easier. If anybody can help me out here with recommendations I would appreciate it. Headers are in the plans but will have to wait at the very least until next season (I need to get this car running asap!).

PS, I know that D&D Fab is a source of information, but I already talked to them and they recommended I search the internet for the answer.

Thanks in advance.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: Exhaust Manifold Options (Are shorter available?)
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: March 20, 2011 05:46PM

The TR8 and Rover SD1/3500S have the down pipe coming off the cast header in the middle. They dont exit at the rear like the GM manifolds.

olds70supreme
Kraig Kapfhamer

(15 posts)

07/15/2009 12:55PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: olds70supreme
Date: March 20, 2011 06:10PM

Thanks for the info. Do you know where they drop down, for example with relation to the motor mounts? Also, do they hug the block pretty well? I am trying to find pictures online but obviously am looking in the wrong places. The closest I can find is this page.

[www.roverklubben.se]

Part way down there is an illustration titled "The Classic V8 3.5 litre". Do these look like the manifolds you are talking about?

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: March 20, 2011 06:31PM

This Triumph TR8 manifold photo gives you an indication of the geometry
www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006448

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 06:37PM by ex-tyke.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: March 21, 2011 01:46PM

Kraig and clan, 300/340 Buick dump further foward, flow more and easier to get. Early Rover(3.5)are center dump, similar to sbc. sbf headers can be sectioned to fit these motors, with correct flanges. Good Luck, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.