Jukka Harkola

(269 posts)

04/08/2009 06:50AM

Main British Car:
Morris Minor Rover V8

Hydraulic cam and solid lifters
Posted by: minorv8
Date: April 08, 2011 02:57PM

I am slowly getting fed up with hydraulic lifter bleeding down and causing nice clatter when I start the engine. I swapped new lifters in the engine and had even noisier engine. Turns out 4 lifters do not even work properly. Even with preload set correctly the lifters did not pump fully up. I swapped used lifters back using magnets and stuff since the engine is assembled (naturally) and has already been running.

So, the question is: can I run solid lifters with hydraulic grind ? I have adjustable rockers so that is not a problem ? Solid grinds are a bit too aggressive for my use.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Hydraulic cam and solid lifters
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 08, 2011 03:13PM

You can run solid lifters, but the performance won't be what you want. The lobes are ground differently for a solid lifter cam versus a hydraulic lifter cam. Something to do with a "clearance ramp" as I remember which would effectively lengthen the duration when using solid lifters.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Hydraulic cam and solid lifters= a REAL flat tappet !
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 08, 2011 06:31PM

Actually thats an old, "drag racing only" trick. Without the "clearance ramps,the cam/lifters are on a short wear-out cycle. Please consider a hydraulic or mech. roller. Your "Merlins" can really wake up, with a roller. Make "Morris" fly ! PM ? Cheers, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.