(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Dry Sump
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 04, 2008 08:47AM

Any one have any experience with dry sump systems?

I've been trying to figure out how to do it without costing an arm & a leg. The full systems are very high. The biggest expense is the multi-stage pump. I think a 3 stage would be fine for what I want. I believe I could rig the rest like the oil reservoir, breather tank, & lines. Seems to me, I could even get by with the stock oil pan.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Re: Dry Sump
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: April 04, 2008 09:52AM

Layout what the benefits of using the dry sump system would be for you. (This is just for my own better understanding). Ground clearance, Oil cooling, Larger oil volume in system, Easier access to pump system?

Thanks Bro!

I bet you could get away with the stock oil pan but you don't get the benefits of efficient scavenging then, right? If you are a decent fabricator you could make a crankcase cover that has a thin sump that runs the length of the crank… That's what I would consider. How about toping it off with a nice crank scraper?

There is definately a lot of money to be hemorrhaged in the parts associated with a dry sump. I think you're right the pump is the critical part. The rest I bet you could fabricate. COOL!

ddouville
Dennis Douville
Northfield NH
(4 posts)

12/17/2007 03:51PM

Main British Car:
1971 Austin Taxi FX4 Ford 302

Posted by: ddouville
Date: April 04, 2008 10:20AM

Just a word of caution; I ran a dry sump on my Ford 351 SVO race motor
The dry sump system creates multitude of issues . The oil tank needs to be constructed so as to seperate the air from the oil.
The engine needs to be a sealed assembly with a small orfice in the breather on the engine to maintain approx. 10 in. of vacum.
The pump mount is critical for proper belt alignment and tension.The pan should have at minium a crank scraper , or better a windage tray.The breather should be connected to the oil tank , not the engine. This also will require a remote oil filter . You will need a lot of space . Might I suggest an Accusump system as an alternative.

Good luck
Dennis Douville

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: April 05, 2008 07:37AM

I'm running a small block Ford w/dry sump. The guy to go to for this is Gary at [www.drysump.com] The complete system for my motor ran $2600 and included the pan, breather, oil tank, pump, pullies, harmonic balancer (built especially for the system), and all the fittings - everything except the lines. I think his outfit is ARE (Armstrong Race Engineering, I think). Nice guy, knowledgeable, responsive to questions (from idiots like me). The GT-40 crowd uses his stuff quite a bit, for those not using Aviad. The pan was ultra low - only 4" deep - and shouldn't require the x-member to modified in the 'B'. Best way to reach him is e-mail through his web site.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: April 05, 2008 08:08AM

Hmm!
Very interesting and Gary is only 20 miles away from me. I may go to his shop and check out his products.

Thanks David for posting Garys website.

Calvin

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: April 05, 2008 09:47AM

Calvin,

Gary has quite a bit of stuff for LS-1 motors. The Ford end of things is pretty sparse (I'm used to it). I get the idea that his main trade is to the race crowd. Take a look at his various packages. They seem to include everything someone would need in order to go dry sump including technical support.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 05, 2008 10:58AM

Nicolas,

I want to eliminate the wet sump problems that come with racing conditions such as oil sloshing in the pan, oil aeration, & parasitic horsepower loss from oil accumulating on the crankshaft. A quality baffled pan would make a good start on a multi stage sump pump. I do have acrank scraper.

An added benefit to the dry sump is the relief of crankcase pressure, so the rings will seal better (maybe a few more HP) and my blowby problems will be resolved.

I'm thinking a used/rebuilt 3 stage pump from Ebay will get it started & I'll fab the rest.

If any one runs across a reasonable priced cast aluminum dry sup pan for a Buick/ Rover, please let me know.

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: April 06, 2008 10:35PM

Everyone I know in SCCA road racing seem to use Accusumps to maintain oil pressure in case of oil pickup failure in the wet sump due to oil surge or oil pickup failure in the sump. Before ever going out onto the track I will most certainly be using an Accusump on my Rover 3.5 V 8 along with a big,bright red warning light for low oil pressure. Nine quarts of oil, a huge oil cooler, and two oil filters help, too. The biggest, best baffled sump possible is a must, well constructed to avoid contact with the tarmac. Don't forget a good oil temperature gauge with a big, bright red warning light.

Phillip G

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Posted by: hoffbug
Date: April 10, 2008 11:06PM

I have been looking into this mainly because the stock oiling system is so poor on these engines..
I started by looking into a single stage external pump from R&R. I have a friend who built a Buick 350 bracket engine with this single stage external pump and the owner loves it.

[www.rrconnectingrods.com]

I have also found someone who makes a dry sump cast pan.

[www.drysump.com]

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 10, 2008 11:19PM

hoffbug Wrote:
-
> I have also found someone who makes a dry sump
> cast pan.
>
> [www.drysump.com]

Yeah, I'd love to have one of those, but $568 for a cast aluminum oil pan I can't justify.

[www.drysump.com]

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Posted by: hoffbug
Date: April 10, 2008 11:57PM

I hear ya!.. The cast pan would be nice for the street though..
Im not sure what Im going to do yet as Im still in the planning stages. Nic is a lot further along than I am.

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: April 11, 2008 10:10PM

Don't forget the complete replacement of the oil pump - base and all the gears. Also a new oil pump pressure relief spring is important on most systems, as well as the biggest oil cooler you can fit.

Phillip G

slow_M
Bernard Holzberg

(59 posts)

07/18/2008 11:12AM

Main British Car:
1975 TVR M series Ford 331

Posted by: slow_M
Date: October 16, 2009 11:43AM

Hi all, I also have questions about this topic.

All Canton SBF road race oil pans are designed for a system capacity of 7-9 quarts so I’m thinking 8-10 qt capacity in a dry sump set-up should be OK. Does my logic seem allright?

How important is mounting the breather tank remotely rather than breathing out of the main tank?

What is the advantage to sealing the lifter valley and how large a take-off does one have to provide there (where, size)?
Can pulling oil from the lifter valley potentially cause problems for hydraulic lifters?

If using the original (in block) pressure relief valve, how do you return the overpressure (from the relief valve) to the pump?

many thanks,
Bernard

Ford Small Block 331 AFR 185 road race/street driven -forged internals, 7000rpm max

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.