1931s/x
james correa

(7 posts)

03/02/2008 08:30PM

Main British Car:

thermostat housing
Posted by: 1931s/x
Date: April 10, 2008 09:41PM

what thermostat housing works on and offy 360 2x2 intake? the rover 3.9 fits along with the thermostat but the manifold has a thermostat bypas hole, the housing doesnt cover it.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: thermostat housing
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: July 16, 2008 06:45PM

James-

The Edlebrock Performer intake for the Rover/Buick V8s has the bypass hole but some of the thermostat housings for the Rover do not have the bypass provision so I would put a plug in it and use the non-bypass housing.The timing cover has a hose fitting on the back of it where the by pass hose would go for the coolant. Put a cap on it with a hose clamp. It has never been an issue.

-Mike

1931s/x
james correa

(7 posts)

03/02/2008 08:30PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 1931s/x
Date: November 25, 2008 08:34PM

really? the guys on the 215 forum told me you cant do that, the engine will run hot. the intake needs coolant moving through it at all times. i then asked why, its aluminum, i figured you ahould be able to bypass the intake all together. there are plenty of engines out there that dont have coolant in the intakes. this 3.9 is going in a 30s coupe that never had heat so i just figured id plug the back of the water pump, and cap off the back of the intake and plug the bypass hole next to the thermostat, but those guys said noooooo. i figured id try it. thanks.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: November 26, 2008 10:50PM

James-

The TR8 guys with the 4 barrel conversions almost rarely use the small hose on the bottom of the intake. I have never had a problem or anyone else I know. All it does is move coolant around the thermostat. The edelbork perfomer intake has the additional hole and it is always plugged off. If you have a good radiator, thermostat and water pump not a problem!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.