Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

JHerscher
John Herscher
SWFL USA
(13 posts)

05/28/2011 08:50PM

Main British Car:
1974 TVR M, 70 MGB

TVR M Series V8 Engine & Transmission - What are they From?
Posted by: JHerscher
Date: May 28, 2011 09:16PM

Hi-

I have a 1974 TVR M V8 project that was converted by a previous owner and would like to know the original donors of the engine and transmission. Near as I can tell, they're not TR8 or Rover SD1. I'm sure someone on this forum can point me in the right direction.

Engine - Aluminum V8
Block Casting Number
CFD PM10
(T)

Numbers stamped on RH of block at front of cylinder head.
3I1585018
HI380427

Transmission
5 speed
Casting numbers
Leyland 19G7
RMC 0558
V3334
Serial number
-CN-078689C (yes, the prefix "dash" is there)

Clues would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Edits to correct typo on and add engine block casting number

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2011 05:03PM by JHerscher.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: TVR M Series V8 Engine & Transmission - What are they From?
Posted by: roverman
Date: May 31, 2011 10:53PM

John, for those of us, less literate, we like "pictures"= 10k words ea. Cheers, roverman.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 02, 2011 01:45AM

I shouldn't post when so sleepy and so very far from reference info - (traveling again) - but I'm tempted to think you may possibly have a Buick 215 engine block. ("HI380427" sounds like a Buick code, but maybe short a couple digits.) Consider the photo in this article, and particularly note the narrowly spaced parallel ridges at the bellhousing - [www.britishv8.org] - if your engine has ridges like that, it's not a Rover engine. Note also the relatively smooth and shiny exterior surfaces of the block casting since GM used permanent exterior molds. (In other words, Buick/Olds 215s were half die-cast and half sand-cast; sand was only used on the oily side.) Rover used sand castings. You can compare the finish to photos of a Rover 4.0/4.6 block on this old thread: [forum.britishv8.org]

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 02, 2011 02:04AM

Still sleepy... and I almost forgot, but you asked about transmissions too.

If it's a Leyland-labeled five speed manual transmission and it's in North America, it's almost certainly an LT77. An LT77 has reverse forward and to the left, whereas the somewhat more internally robust transmission that came later - the R380 - has reverse on the right-hand side where reverse naturally belongs. In either case, the main body of the transmission will be cast iron and relatively tall. More information about LT77s can be found in a Dan Jones post on this thread: [forum.britishv8.org]

Every Rover P5 or P6 seden I've ever heard of has had a Borg Warner T35 automatic transmission. MGB GT V8 had a four speed plus overdrive arrangement. I think Morgan Plus 8s started with Moss transmissions, but I don't know if/when they switched to something less weird.

JHerscher
John Herscher
SWFL USA
(13 posts)

Main British Car:
1974 TVR M, 70 MGB

Date: June 05, 2011 04:41PM

Thanks, Curtis for the clues.

As requested by Art, attached to this posting are 3 engine pictures and one of the transmission. I'm pretty confident the Transmission is a LT77, but as noted in my original post, the numbers aren't in my cross reference material.

I now understand the engine is likely to be a US version of the GM aluminum 215. I hope the attached photos will provide the necessary clues to confirm the donor.

Thanks to all.
John

Edit: correct typo

5.Engine serial numbers.JPG
6.engine casting numbers.JPG
8. Engine flywheel.JPG
1. five speed shopping cart.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 04:45PM by JHerscher.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 06, 2011 03:50PM

From the photo it's clear your engine block, heads, and intake manifold are all GM (Buick) castings, but the stamped numbers on the block look odd to me. Perhaps they're from something less familiar like a replacement/aftermarket engine program. Buick and Olds both sold engines for industrial purposes. A phone call to D&D Fabrications would likely get you a definitive answer about where the engine is from. The more important question is where it's been. Keep in mind that you're dealing with a fifty year old engine. If it's ever been rebuilt, there's a very good chance the pistons and camshaft have been replaced, in which case the original performance specs aren't applicable. AFAIK, all the Buick/Pontiac 215 engines had similar cylinder heads. (Olds heads look entirely different, and unlike Buick they came with various different combustion cavity volumes.)

Your valve covers are obviously from a Rover engine.

In last photo it looks like your transmission case is all aluminum - including the center section - but I wonder if that could be an illusion. Aluminum colored paint? (You could perhaps check with a magnet.) The basic shape of the case looks like an LT77 case to me. As I recall, the LT stands for Leyland transmission, and 77 refers to the dimension between shafts inside the box (i.e. 77mm.)

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: June 06, 2011 05:31PM

FWIW, Olds had at least (3) different chamber volumes/(2) different designs. 2bbl/low comp., was largest, even made one with a "Buick" syle chamber. These not counting the "Indy" design+ Mickey Thompsons' Buick design,(aka.Dan Jone's GM race heads) ?

JHerscher
John Herscher
SWFL USA
(13 posts)

Main British Car:
1974 TVR M, 70 MGB

Date: June 07, 2011 07:40PM

Hi Curtis-

Thanks for your help.

The transmission center case is cast iron - you see aluminum paint over black. Unfortunately, not a mysterious llightweight all-aluminum racing casting!

Re: the engine, I was interested in understanding who made it before I figured out what I had inside so I could secure the correct manuals. This one has a Carter AFB 4 barrel carb and some interesting headers. I believe I can probably improve the flow here pretty easily!

Art, thanks for the additional info.

John

Thanks for confirming.
edit: typo
12.Engine Headers as purchased.LH.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2011 10:22PM by JHerscher.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 11, 2011 10:35PM

I'd say that's the Buick 215, as Rover valvecovers do not fit the Olds heads. So, regardless of the number markings (possibly the high compression version based on the "HI" in the numbers), it'll have the standard heads or possibly a set of Rover heads. Even 300 heads are a possibility. Pistons are a complete unknown apparently and since that determines compression all you can go by is a static compression test. Something in the vicinity of 160 psi would indicate a high compression engine.

The good news is that it is a good basic engine. If it runs and has decent compression and oil pressure clean it up and use it. If not, pull the heads and see what the bore looks like.

JB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.