moemg
moe dupuis

(1 posts)

06/06/2011 07:36PM

Main British Car:

variation with throwout bearing shaft length on v-6/v-8 t-5 trans
Posted by: moemg
Date: June 06, 2011 08:56PM

hello out there. I am new to this forum and not very good with computers so please bear with me. I have learned a wealth of information from this forum and also mg experience forums. I have a question about the t-5 trans. This is my situation. I am the proud owner of a 79 mgb and I am doing a 2.8/t-5 conversion . the motor is out of a 92 s-10 and the trans is out of a 83 v-8 firebird. The motor and tranny are in great shape. the motor has 56k original and the trans has 92k. I am using Bill Guzmans kit (great quality). I am going with edelbrock cam ,intake and 390 cfm holly I have decided to use the s-10 bellhousing/slave cyl.I am using a s-10 4cyl 26 spline 9in clutch disc.because the v-8 t-5 input shaft is 26 splines.I am also using the s-10 flywheel and the s-10 clutch arm. I hope I have provided enough info. Now this is my question. The shaft that the throwout bearing rides on is shorter on the v-8 trans than it is on the s-10 v-6 trans. The v-8 /v-6 throwout shafts are the same o.d but the length of the shaft on the v-6 is approximitly 4 -1/2 in.from the face of the trans case. The shaft on the v-8 trans is aproximitly 3-1/4 in. from the face of the trans case .It appears that the throwout bearing will not have enough surface to ride on. I am not sure if I can take the longer throwout shaft from the v-6 trans and install it on the v-8 trans or if I need to use a special throwout bearing.I hope someone out there is familiar with this problem.I am not very good with e-mail either so I will look for an answer on this forum. Thanks to all you guys out there that make this a great hobby !

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: variation with throwout bearing shaft length on v-6/v-8 t-5 trans
Posted by: mgb260
Date: June 06, 2011 11:46PM

The "shaft" is the bearing retainer tube. Use the longer S-10 and throwout bearing. The shorter one is for the Camaro clutch. Most people who do this swap use the Camaro bellhousing, pressure plate and flywheel,throwout bearing, and the S-10 clutch disk. If you use the S-10 bearing retainer will there still be enough spline area for the clutch disk? You may have to trim slightly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.