06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Re: Thermostat---Low Coolant Temps in Winter Months
Posted by: hirot
Date: December 19, 2015 09:25AM

Did your heater used to work OK ?

Only ask as the MG heater box is not too efficient and you never seem to get a strong blow of air from it at the best of times.

Have you tried blocking the output vent on the passenger side. It increases the hampster output to the drivers footwell.

My bypass hose is routed straight to the heater matrix and then back to the rear of the Edelbrock manifold and gets warm air reasonably quickly.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 19, 2015 09:48AM

FWIW, some years ago, I too had lower coolant temps when running in cooler weather until a few years ago when I changed the (180F) thermostat - I now have a nominal gauge reading of 184F whether it's 40F or 90F ambient temp.......so, for me, a t-stat change stabilized cooling system operation in hot or cold driving conditions..

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 20, 2015 10:55AM

Done, Graham. Haven't done any cold weather driving yet. The old 'stat tested fine on the stove. I really thought it would be stuck open.

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

09/15/2013 08:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V6 1994 Camaro 3.4L 60V6

authors avatar
Posted by: Charles
Date: January 03, 2016 10:01PM

Been reading and realized some of you guys are thinking the way I did after going from MGB to GM. If you run an MGB engine as hot as GM runs their engine, its by-by B engine. When I ran my GM engine the first time and it got over 195F , I shut it off. I then realized that I had installed a 195F thermostat in the engine. I went back to school on GM engine, on my Camaro 3.4 they don't even turn the fan "on" till the water temp. reaches about 215F and shut the fan "off" at 195F. GM likes it hot for emission control and economy.

In the winter I found that I need to let the thermostat open before I turn the heater blower "on" or it takes much longer for the engine temp. to reach operating 195F. On my setup the heater system is before the thermostat. I also cover the outside air intake and open the recirculate door inside the car.

If you have an oil cooler on the engine you likely need to cover it up in the winter. If you have a remote oil filer it my take longer to reach operating temp.

just my input

pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: pcmenten
Date: January 11, 2016 09:23PM

When I was having overheating trouble with my Mustang 5.0, I went through the cooling system from end-to-end. Boiled the radiator, replaced the heater core, new hoses, restrictors in the heater hoses, etc. I had purchased a jobber thermostat but the car's temp was erratic. I bought a RobertShaw replacement and it worked perfectly. Expensive, but it works the first time.

I would recommend a RS 195 degree part. 330-195
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.