tips, technology, tools and techniques related to vehicle driveline components

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

littlebritishcar
Rick Anderson

(15 posts)

11/11/2011 10:25AM

Main British Car:

Rover 4.2L Engine - What is Needed to Run Fuel Injection?
Posted by: littlebritishcar
Date: November 15, 2011 03:44PM

I am looking at a Fuel Injected Rover 4.2L engine this weekend and was wondering what parts I need besides the engine and injectors to make the fuel injection work. I know there is a control box of some kind - is that all I need? Soerry for my ignorance but I'm just learning.

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Re: Rover 4.2L Engine - What is Needed to Run Fuel Injection?
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: November 15, 2011 03:53PM

Besides the computer and the wire harness, you need a high pressure fuel pump and a return line to the tank. In-tank pumps are a lot quieter and last a lot longer.

cgill
Chris Gill
Salmon Arm, British Columbia
(129 posts)

08/13/2009 12:06AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB roadster Buick 300 stroker with EFI

authors avatar
Posted by: cgill
Date: November 15, 2011 05:55PM

Before you start, take photos of the intact engine and wiring for reference.

Grab as much of the wiring harness as possible. Trace it back from the injectors to through the firewall and behind the dash. It might require some creative dismantling of the dash to get at it from the inside.

Also take all the vacuum lines that are attached to the engine and plenum, Mass Airflow Sensor, throttle linkage and accelerator cable, upper, lower plenum, ECU (computer control box that I think is located under the passenger seat - about 2" high by 5"x5"), and diagnostic display (little 3" box that is also mounted under the passenger seat with a red LED fault code display). NOTE, the diagnostic display is connected to the main harness so don't cut it off. Carefully free all the wiring.

Good luck!
Chris

Robidunno
Robert Clapp

(2 posts)

06/16/2011 12:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Robidunno
Date: January 07, 2012 10:33AM

The harness isn't that hard to get out of a classic RR. Once its inside through the firewall it's mostly tied together until you get under the RF seat. Under the seat is where the ECU and code reader are. There are a few other plugs of which I don't remember exactly what they are at the moment, and some relays. To pull the harness, there are some small plastic screws under the carpet holding it to the floorboard. Unscrew these and unplug the harness from under the seat and you're nearly home free (on the inside). There's a rubber seal that you have to pull out of the firewall but it stays on the harness. You can pull (and push) the harness through the firewall with little to no problems. Other than that it's what you have in the engine bay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.