RobertE
Robert Edgeworth

(77 posts)

02/19/2008 08:27AM

Main British Car:

14CUX O2 Sensor
Posted by: RobertE
Date: November 16, 2011 04:05PM

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find (1)O2 sensor? One of my friends managed to ruin the driver side o2 sensor unfortunately - I've already tried junkyards and I'd rather avoid the $140 other places want

Someone mentioned they thought I could use any 3 wire sensor but I've never heard this.

RobertE
Robert Edgeworth

(77 posts)

02/19/2008 08:27AM

Main British Car:

Re: 14CUX O2 Sensor
Posted by: RobertE
Date: November 21, 2011 11:25AM

I did some research on the subject(british v8/land rover owners forum) and found a few different nissan o2 sensors that are suppose to be exactly the same(difference in price and plug).

Checked a few local parts stores and only one of the nissan sensors is stocked. Price $70(couldn't afford to drop the $400 LR wanted).. Only difference I can see is the plug and that the sensor sits more towards the center the center of the downpipe. Will this make an significant difference if I use it while having a stock o2 sensor on the opposite bank? The difference is a few centimeters at most - so I'm thinking its negligible.

Also whats the best way to actually tell if its working? i don't have the diagnostic box that some people run with the 14CUX - Can I just drive around for a bit and then pull the plug to check if its running too rich?

I'm going to change the plug and install it over my thanksgiving break - I'll let yall know how it goes.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 21, 2011 02:21PM

Robert, check with the guys over at Megasquirt and perhaps Innovative Motorsports. That's very expensive even for a wideband O2 and if it's a narrow band it's flat out highway robbery. $20 would be more appropriate for a narrow band.

JB

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: November 21, 2011 07:44PM

Robert, Chris Gill on MGExperience went through this. With the Rover ECU you have to use the Rover (or Nissan similar) to work .

cgill
Chris Gill
Salmon Arm, British Columbia
(129 posts)

08/13/2009 12:06AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB roadster Buick 300 stroker with EFI

authors avatar
Posted by: cgill
Date: November 23, 2011 01:18PM

Jim's right. I ended up finding a pair of used oxygen sensors and they seem to be working.

Take a look at this page about half way down. They have some ideas that might work for sensors

[www.rangerovers.net]

Here's another pertinent article about oxygen sensors...

[www.jpurnell.com]

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: November 27, 2011 09:51PM

Robert, oxygen sensor brands seem to have toggling voltage differences, I don't know why. Some vehicles don't seem to agree with a universal after-market brand; although they test good, it will not meet the vehicle's ECU requirement. Always check the OE manual for the proper 02 sensor specifications. Here's an excellent link on 02 sensors. [www.autodiagnosticsandpublishing.com]

When using an after-market brand on GM vehicles, I always had better luck with a Delco or Nippondenso. I know some guys (technicians) that will cut the plug off the end of a sensor that came from another brand vehicle and successfully rewire it for their vehicle; of course, they have perfect understanding of their work and own the proper test equipment.

Good luck,

Jacques

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.