(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Heater hose routing
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 20, 2011 06:57PM

Looks like I need to reroute my heater hoses. I had the one to the water pump running between the block and alternator pulley but found the hard way I hadn't tied it to keep them away from the alt pulley. On my way home from a drive this afternoon, the pulley cut through the hose.

Engine is ford 302. Water pump has the heater port at about 10 o'clock (as viewed from front of the engine) and it has an elbow pointing down. Looks like the set up in this pic...
http://www.vintageair.com/Front Runner/Ford/SBFFrontRunnermsmnts.jpg

So two questions...

First, anyone know of a standard hose/pipe combination intended to be used with this water pump configuration?

Second, can the 90* elbow fitting be turned (without removing the wp) so I can use a pipe that go between the head and carb?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 07:21PM by rficalora.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Heater hose routing
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 21, 2011 01:49PM

Only thing I can suggest is to determine the donor vehicle (Explorer, Mustang, etc) and use the correct OEM hose arrangement. If your WP is a typical Ford product, then the heater hose return and the t'stat bypass tubes are not removeable and cannot be re-oriented.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: December 21, 2011 02:57PM

Hey Rob,
to me it looks like you have a few options.
Like Graham says, determine the application for the pump and get the corresponding hose. I haven't seen a ford with the 90" fitting before so I can't help there.
Another option is to make up a "hard line". Soft copper tubing works well. Bend to fit, flatten for clearance if required and couple to the pump fitting with a short piece of hose.
If necessary the pump fitting can be turned. They are epoxied and pressed in place. You will need to heat the pump housing to soften the epoxy and then turn the fitting. This can be done on the car but would be much preferred if the pump was removed.
My personal choice would be to remove the pump, pull out the nipples and thread the holes for AN fittings. Looks good, works good and you only have to do it once.
Cheers
Fred

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 21, 2011 04:11PM

Rob, I had good results routing my heater hoses around my engine compartment using standard copper plumbing pipe and fittings, just had to position things where I wanted them and solder the connections. Used standard copper support straps soldered in place to use as attachment brackets also. The only problem was adapting the GM 5/8" hose to the 1/2" pipe but soldering a union on the hose end enlarged it enough for the hose to clamp on firmly.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 21, 2011 05:28PM

Thanks guys. I emailed Vintage Air to see if they have an OEM reference since the pump came with their Front Runner kit. If I don't hear back by the morning, copper it'll be. Hopefully I can buy it by the foot at Ace... Seems the stuff has gotten expensive!

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: December 23, 2011 11:50PM

Rob,

What size of copper do you need? I have a bunch of scrap copper at the warehouse.

I'm with Fred on this one. Take your pump off, twist out your pipe stubs with a large pair of channel locks, Thread the hole for AN fittings. This is what I did with my pump, in the end it looks very good. I haven't had any problems with it for 3000 miles so far.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 27, 2011 02:03AM

Thanks for the offer Calvin. I think I have it set - too late to fire it up tonight w/o upsetting the neighbors (and probably my wife too) but my son & I just finished working on it. I used a combination of a preformed heater hose I found at Napa and a piece of copper. I'll likely switch to AN fittings when I have more time; this way it's back on the road without waiting for pears and with the copper painted black, it looks ok. We'll test it out in the morning - then off to see King Tut; he's visiting Houston so can't pass up that opportunity.

Oh, and since the radiator was just about empty, we pulled it and the fan so we could get a socket on the balancer nut so we could find TDC. Interestingly, I was only about 1* off when I used the "feel the piston with a screwdriver" method vs. with the piston stop this evening.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.