Jeff

(11 posts)

12/06/2009 11:33PM

Main British Car:

Re: Fair price for rebuilt 215 with T5?
Posted by: supertweet
Date: September 30, 2013 06:53PM

Hello all,

Bringing this thread back up, as I've inherited my father's lovely-but-mechanically-rough '71 1800E, and have spent the last 5 months researching drivetrain swaps.

First, Andrew, did you ever decide upon a swap for your vehicle? I'd love to discuss with you, but won't bore with details yet.

Basically requesting resources for info; the interwebs has the ubiquitous "iamtheonlyrealone" LS swap, Ford SB's, and a few European turbo motors. While all neat, I don't want a motor that dominates the experience. or forced induction. Think Maserati A6g 2000/ 246 Dino/ Alfa GTA/ 914 3.0... medium-bore GT stuff. I figure at 2600 lbs or so realistically, 200-250hp, 200+ lbs/ft with a broad powerband would be entertaining.

Mr Fred Mckay, I too have contemplated the VR6, however it's both fairly long and very heavy. Does anyone have dimensions of both the VR6 and and LX9 oil pan? I'm hoping for a tapered-depth pan at the VR6's front to clear that blasted crossmember. It's heavy and difficult to make naturally-aspirated power out of, but darn it sounds so lovely.

Basically, my car is a rolling chassis, as the motor decided to sink a valve, Dad never repaired it, and not it's seized. The tranny groaned beforehand, and despite best intentions Brickboard/VW Vortex et al isn't as informative as, say this forum :D So, I'd like a relatively modern motor, naturally aspirated, along with the ubiquitous T5 for a GT renaissance cruiser.

The builder and I mocked up an EJ Subaru and a seized SBC he had lying around, not for swap purposes but for reference measurements, which I'll post up once I get them; if anyone has a 60v6 and/or a VR6 on a stand and is willing to take measurements, I'd be grateful (if San Francisco, drink's on me).

Finally, for reference, of course budget's an issue, but I haven't undertaken this project for thrift; this is the replacement for my 997S, a characterful car myself and the better half can enjoy both leisurely and at dinner, and for a sporting drive. If suggestions tend to run toward the more expensive, I'm open to them (we're back-halving the car for example.

I guess I don't have many questions, but would like to chat about my project in general. This thread displayed such insightful viewpoints while remaining civil, I'd like to join in the discussion. Thanks to Mr. Jacobson and all the forum moderators/board members for making this board such a fun place to hang out. I've contemplated for years an MGB or E-Type 2+2 swap, yet it took Dad passing on to get me off my butt. You guys are resourceful and helpful; it's appreciated.

Jeff

supertweet
Jeff

(11 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 30, 2013 08:17PM

I've seen him, thanks. The front subframe is fascinating, but from other forum members on the site, it appears as if his product might fail to market.

I've messaged him about the modifications, but like some others, he appears to be forgoing communicating for the moment.

I dearly love the LS series, but don't want it for this specific application. Might be dumb, but I'm stuck on the medium-bore idea. Sidenote, someone here in the bay area has a cherry BRG MGB GT that drives on HWY 880; anyone's car here? Only seen it on the freeway, but sure as heck doesn't sound like a B motor.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 02, 2013 04:42AM

You may have seen Robert Milner's excellent GT. Check the photo gallery to compare.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1367 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: October 03, 2013 10:22PM

Your timing is good Jeff.
We are just finishing up on a mild supercharged and intercooled P1800.
It's a .20 over B20 with a custom cam, Toyota valves and street porting.
It does an easy 210 hp and idles smooth.
IMGP9295.JPG
It's a very easy car to drive but makes enough power to be "entertaining".
This would be no more expensive than an engine swap and could be built in stages to keep the costs manageable.
As for the VR6 it's actually very short at 22" total length.
Width is 23" including manifolds.
The exhaust is on the right side and intake on the left which clears all the Volvo's obstacles.
Height is 26" which fits but notching the cross member would settle it lower in the car. (I measured an R32 which is a slightly taller engine)
Horsepower for the 12 valve is 174, the 24 valve is 200 and the R32 is 250!
These are all stock figures and there are tons of power parts available for them to get more if needed.
The R32 that I have tips the scale fully dressed at just over 500lbs. A fair bit lighter than the B20.
Hope that helps some
Cheers
Fred

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(223 posts)

11/25/2009 07:18AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Posted by: mstemp
Date: October 04, 2013 07:45AM

Fred,

The VR6 in the present Passat makes 280 HP! Wonder if the direct injection could be figured out.

supertweet
Jeff

(11 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 19, 2013 03:14AM

Hi all,

Curtis, Mr. Milner's car indeed resembles that which I've seen; I recall the car had polished/chrome wheels, although at fwy speeds I've yet to make out what style. Hope to see him soon!

Thanks for the response, Fred; is that an SU on the back of the blower. Doesn't look like an Eaton, and interesting how it looks like the intake angles the unit 45 is degrees up... clearance issues?

You're right on staying with a B20/23, or even a B230 would give me more support on the Volvo forums and likely be easier, but w/ Turbos I'm not a fan of the power delivery (had an S60R and low output S80 in the family) nor the excess heat. A supercharged unit would be neat, but running aftermarket EFI opens a new can of worms. This car is one which the better half and I, after sorting of course, want to hop in and just drive. Minimal engine tuning once somewhat sorted is the idea.

Do you have a build log on your Volvo in this or any other venue? I'd love to see your progress. And, thank you so much for the VR6 iterations. As much as I love the sound, particularly of the SOHC motor, it's looking more likely that the LX9 V6 is a better option. We'll see.

Mike, the VW vortex crows are having problems adapting the common rail for swaps. It's the unfortunate case of swaping pedal assemblies/secondary ECU/immobilizer deal common with these modern integrated OBD 90000000 systems. With a non-VW swap, we have to consider other factors as well. Too complicated for my blood!

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1367 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: October 21, 2013 03:13PM

Hey Jeff,

I haven't done a how it was done anywhere for this engine as it's just another job in the shop.
The carb on the system is a 40DCOE weber. Modded for boosted use.
The intake is the stock Volvo SU manifold machined to fit the intercooler. Hence the angle.
The blower just clears the hood.
IMGP9304.JPG
The supercharger kit is by VPD and is very well made using Swedish components.
The head is a modded FI head with stainless Toyota 22r valves and chevy LS springs.
Cam is a custom Colt Cams unit with hydraulic lifters.
Forged JE pistons and Lunati rods are installed for insurance although we have several others running around with the stock components as well.
Custom 1 5/8 into 2 1/4 collector header is used.
Aluminum flywheel, Centerforce clutch, and T5 transmit the power to the stock 3.73 diff with with a tru trac.
This car was not built to be an ultimate HP vehicle. Hence the 210 hp @ 8 lbs boost. Hydraulic lifters and carb.
Torque is the name of the game with this one as It gets driven daily as a commuter vehicle and needs to be dead reliable.
Anyone can drive it on mid grade fuel all day long with out trouble.
We do have this setup in other Volvo's at much higher power levels but this one needed to be maintenance minimal.
Cheers
Fred

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.