Tegguy
Dustin Sondenaa

(25 posts)

01/27/2008 05:27PM

Main British Car:

motor build
Posted by: Tegguy
Date: May 19, 2008 02:24AM

Hey guys i'm new to the whole V8 thing and so I wanted some recommendations for parts and what all I would need for my motor. I would like to build a 302 stroked to 347. I have a good block from a 71 ford. I would like to put around 350-400hp down (call me crazy) I was curious if people could either recommend parts or put together what they would like for a build list and also estimate a price. I will be running a tremec TKO500 transmission. The block and rods are about the only thing salvagable although if I stroke it the rods probably won't be used. This will be going into a 1969 Triumph TR6. I have the headers already. Thank you

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: motor build
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 19, 2008 05:32PM

Talk with Pete Mantell @ Mantell motor sports. [www.britishv8.org] He's a member & advertiser here & has plenty of 1st hand experience w/stroked 302's. If you're talking flywheel HP, 350-400 should be easily doable. A std bore 302 with aluminum GT40 heads & a B303 cam (aka the common Ford motorsports 302 crate motor) is a mild engine. Ford advertises it at 350hp & ~300ft/lbs but folks I've talked with that have had it dynoed see more like 370hp & 310ft/lbs...

Since you mentioned you're new to the V8 thing, you'll also want to consider how you're going to get that power to the pavement. You'll pobably want to look into changes to the rear end as well as wider & stickier tires. You may need to reinforce the frame some too.

Which reminds me... also check in with Ted Lathrop @ Fast Cars, Inc. [www.britishv8.org] Ted's car is a TR-6 with a Chevy 350 in it. He reinforced the frame on his & has a 9" ford rear end [although I'm pretty sure he told me he'd do an 8" if he did it again].

Tegguy
Dustin Sondenaa

(25 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 20, 2008 02:34AM

I forgot to mention I have a 9" under the car already. This car previously had a 302 in it but the tranny blew second gear and it sat for many years so i bought it for a very good price.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 20, 2008 02:40PM

Sounds like this should be pretty easy to accomplish then. There are plenty of stroker kits for 302's so if it were me, I'd probably do some quick research maybe 2-3 of the items below, & then start ordering the parts...
a. connect with Pete & get his input.
b. get a log-on to a couple of 5.0 Mustang BBS's & read up on what those guys are using for 347 strokers
c. call Summit Racing's tech dept & get their input (330-630-0240)
d. call Ford Racing Part's tech line (586-468-1356) & get their input
I'm sure you'll quickly find there are a couple of recipies to cook up what you're after.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: May 20, 2008 07:05PM

While not a forum vendor, you might also try Gordon Levy at levyracing.com. He's a big supporter of the Cobra crowd and a first-rate engine and race car builder. He can sell you the parts or the entire engine. Super knoweldegeable and a darn nice guy.

Tegguy
Dustin Sondenaa

(25 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 20, 2008 09:48PM

There is actually the motor I am looking for on levyracing.com for 7K I was hoping to build one for cheaper. I am in contact with pete right now to see what he recommends/can offer for building.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: May 21, 2008 05:31PM

I'm on my third 302 build – two EFI motors and a carburetted version. Each one had/has progressively more power. By the time you build any of them up, $6000-7000 is a pretty reliable number. All of them have been .30 over, one was re-built from a wrecked '93 with 40,000 on the odometer, one was a built up crate motor from Ford Racing, and the last one is a Keith Craft short block (who, by the way, is another great engine source). I've done my own work, had work done and no matter how it gets sliced, I seem to end up at the same place, cost wise. The first two ran great, you'll have to stay tuned to find out this last one runs. After all is said and done, the Keith Craft short block and careful E-bay shopping seem like they're going to deliver the most power per dollar. The KC is being built up with aluminum anything I can find to keep the weight down, so it's pound for pound more expensive than the other two. I'd be happy to share my build sheet with you, if you're interested. I few of my Cobra buddies have had success with T&L, Pacific Coast, The Engine Factory, Paul Anthony Race Engines and Southern Automotive to mention a few. Of the lot, only Keith and Gordon seem to have the most spotless reputations.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 21, 2008 06:33PM

Take the easy way. Buy a 342 Ford crate engine for around $5K & get on with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.