(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Infinity 7 speed
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 11, 2012 08:48PM

Aren't rental cars wonderful things? Over vacation we had occasion to drive this peppy little thing with a V6 and 7 speed automatic so I figured, what the heck, why not do a report on it? After all, it could be spare parts in someone's mind. I don't know the specs, in fact I don't (didn't) even know the model (G37) so info is limited, and I never had a chance to thrash it. But I can at least give some driving impressions. The transmission was as appliance-like as we have come to expect from new import cars, but that is really the point. Operation was flawless, gear selections seemed to be right on the money, and the manual override worked just dandy when I chose to use it, which was admittedly seldom. Would it be a good choice for a conversion? Yes, in some cases an excellent one.

The engine surprised me a little. With VVT I was expecting a nice flat torque curve but in fact, for the power level this engine is a little beastie. Output was decent for the car size but the big surprise was that it is a peaky engine in the classic meaning of the phrase. Very definitely reminded me of riding a 2 stroke dirt bike in fact, just heavier. It starts out docile enough but there is a transition area just between pokey slow and spirited where the power builds up a lot faster than I expected, and I've got to say it wasn't at all what I was expecting to see from a family sedan. If that is the sort of an engine you like in a sports car this could be a fun combo. But it's enough to make me want to re-evaluate the newer VVT engines before choosing one for a conversion. Maybe the larger displacement engines behave differently, maybe not, but at this point I'm just not in a position to say.

Jim

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Infinity 7 speed
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 12, 2012 11:21AM

Interesting observation as to the peaky engine. I've heard much the same about the Honda VVT engine in the S2000 as well. The power comes on very quickly after aroudn 4000 rpm. Guys in England reported a lot of S2000s wrecked when the engine came on during a corner such as an entrance ramp or round about and caused the driver to lose the rear end, sending the car off the road backwards. I haven't heard that type of peakiness ascribed to the later Miata VVT engine though. I'll have to drive somthing with one of these later 6 or 7 speed autos I guess. Still an old timer and like my manual for a performace sports car so far but in traffic that auto is nice.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Infinity 7 speed, Scion 6 speed auto.
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 12, 2012 01:28PM

2.4L no juice or boost. VVT with impressive torque right off of idle,(slips tire). What I don't like is it drops maybe (3) gears on downshift, lock-up convertor opens and motor "screams" = too much happening= not enough forward accelleration. I to, am old school, as I prefer a stick in a track day/road course,serious sports car." I" want to decide, how,when and where to shift. Automatics have their place, traffic, cruisers and drag cars. IMHO, cheers, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.