randy kassed

(84 posts)

05/30/2010 09:14AM

Main British Car:
1973 mgb gt rover 3.5

rover hotwire gearswitch circuit
Posted by: rkas3882
Date: April 16, 2012 10:35PM

Hi everyone, I installed the rover hotwire injection on my buick 215 wih the diagnostic display, it is showing fault code 69 which is for the gear lever switch. I cant get the engine to idle, it will die. Maybe this is my problem? Anyway im going to have an efi warning light on the dash so i need to make sure it doesnt throw this code again, how did you guys wire this up? Is it just grounded? This was to keep the engine from starting with the automatic transmission in gear, correct?
Randy

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Re: rover hotwire gearswitch circuit
Posted by: NCtim
Date: April 19, 2012 10:23PM

Hi Randy,

From my limited knowledge and understanding, after reading all the links provided on this website, you're correct that this is to not allow the ignition OR the starter circuit to energize when in gear on an automatic trans equipped vehicle. (Although I think the engine wouldn't start at all if this circuit wasn't complete.) That circuit also was used to sense clutch disengagement on manual trans equipped vehicles. It will help you if you know your donor vehicle's original equipment. I believe you can safely ground that circuit but you'd be better off installing the clutch disengagement switch/sensor for safety reasons.

I've also learned that this circuit can be disabled but I haven't had the need to learn that info yet as I'm just memorizing the megasquirt control so I can use the electronic ignition like Evan Amaya's MG.

I also believe that this is not your problem as your engine is starting and running for a bit. Could it be fuel pressure or volume? Have you modified that system for FI? I've been taking notes from all the different threads here and I have some conflicting info on fuel line sizing to and from the fuel rails and pump configurations that I'll need to work out, but I'll get that worked out before I lay out the parts.

Cheers,
NCtim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 19, 2012 10:31PM

If it starts then dies, make sure the fuel pump is running and/or the fuel rail is staying pressurized. Some systems run the pump to pressure then shut off. If it doesn't restart the engine will die.

Jim

rkas3882
randy kassed

(84 posts)

05/30/2010 09:14AM

Main British Car:
1973 mgb gt rover 3.5

Posted by: rkas3882
Date: April 20, 2012 08:19AM

Well I think I found my problem, It seems that the fuel injectors are stuck from sitting for so long, im going to swap in a different set and see what happens. I can get it started and keep it running from working the throttle and all the exhaust pipes are getting hot, but not all the same temp, some are yellowing and some are not. As far as the gearswitch it seems that if I put a 500ohm resistor and wire it to ground it will not throw the 69 code, at least thats what I read so im waiting for the resistor to come in so i can check it out.
Randy

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 20, 2012 03:58PM

A local radio shack should have a 500ohm resister.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.