(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Wideband O2 AFR kits
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 22, 2012 09:17AM

This hasn't been discussed much, here, but I guess it's time to move into a bit more high-tech territory even if some of us are still using carbs on our conversions.

The problem is how do we know if the car is running rich or lean? It's hard to know for sure. Spark plug reading is pretty much a thing of the past. Anyway, I have been thinking real hard about stepping up to the wideband O2 plate. Leaning toward a portable system that can be used to aid tuning my MG, Camaro, & 2 motorcycles. Seems that is what the MG Roadmaster needs more than dyno time.

A couple that I have been studying:

[www.innovatemotorsports.com]

[www.zeitronix.com]

Suggestions & opinions encouraged. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 09:19AM by MGBV8.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Wideband O2 AFR kits
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 22, 2012 12:16PM

It's guys with carbs that need these gauges most of all!

If you're using it as a tuning aid for multiple vehicles, I think this NGK unit seems particularly suitable:

[www.ngk.com]

For me, the choice was mostly between the NGK and the AEM, and I went with the latter.

[www.aemelectronics.com]

AEM seems to be most popular with vintage racers on BritishRacecar... and the AEM has worked flawlessly for me so far. The two little gripes I have aren't necessarily specific to AEM: (1) that there's no option to adjust dampening, so measurements move around quite a lot and you have to average them in your head. An undamped gauge is probably what you want when judging between step-up springs or accelerator pump settings. (2) It turns out that engines naturally spend a lot of lean time on rolling highways - as they should when you lift your foot off the throttle at cruise - and the red warning lights for a lean mixture get a bit disconcerting.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-BI.jpg

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Wideband O2 AFR kits, direct injection ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 22, 2012 11:11PM

I suspect these gages would run out of "room" in a direct injected engine ? They idle and very light load down to 65/1 afr. Is it any wonder why they get 25% better economy and such impressive power ? The first LBC to get a "Traverse V6" or comparable, will have some genuine bragging rights. Cheers, roverman.

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(325 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: April 27, 2012 12:26AM

Carl

I run the Innovate LC-1 and it seems to work pretty well. Digital guages work well in GT cars, but sometimes can be hard to see in roadster cars with the top down on a sunny day. Depending on where you mount the gauge, a small sun shade could be made to improve top down visability.
One thing to remember about O2 sensors ( both narrow and wide band) is that missfires can give you false readings due to the un-burnt oxygen in the exhaust system. So if you have an ignition or missfire due to overly lean or rich condition, the O2 can read oposite of whats really happening!

HTH
Bill

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: April 27, 2012 02:54PM

I have the LC-1 on my TR4A to use with the Megasquirt, I think I bought it off Amazon, and it was only about $5 more to get the digital readout, so I went ahead and got that. Pretty sure that is what Jim has been running. I also found JAW (just another wideband) and NAW (not another wideband) from a guy in Canada named Alan Toh. He sells controllers for the widebands and kits to make the controllers. [14point7.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.