Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Building a put-put Rover for GT-1
Posted by: roverman
Date: May 10, 2012 07:24PM

Hopefully enough power to learn some "motor skills" in Racing Schools. 4L, maybe 300hp. and an Accusump, yeah I know, I don't like them, but I'm desperate and It's not a real race motor. After all, this car can run GT-2 now, not that I would. Wish me luck. I'm sure I'll need it . Thanks, roverman.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Building a put-put Rover for GT-1
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 10, 2012 08:44PM

Cool! You gotta start somewhere.

Accusump vs dry sump? Big cost difference.

Are the rules for your racing class available online? Maybe if you could post a link to them...

On the other hand, for schools there's alot to be said for renting a ride. If you change your mind about anything, you can walk away. A lot of people feel that low-powered, open-wheel, purpose-built racecars are best for learning anyhow. Formula Ford was a huge success for good reasons. (And by the way, Formula Fords have dry sumps!)

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Building a put-put Rover for GT-1, put-put driver ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: May 10, 2012 10:15PM

I've been financially ok., then poor and now I'm ready to rock n' roll. I sold the GT-1 short block, when I was poor. My car is set-up for dry sump, but I'm up against a time factor. Mostly everyone commenting on Phillips' GT-2 motor, feels an Accusump is adequate. For a 300hp. put-put, they might be right. I feel the best way to learn how to race a GT-1 car, is to practice in that car.It would be easy to use a Celica GT at Danny Mckevers' School,(Willow Springs), but not fast enough to suit my learning curve(GT-1),IMHO. I'm actually "ok" for my age group, in a race kart, but I don't expect a lot of carry-over skill to the Huffaker. We've had a few professional F1 and Indy car drivers, "slow down" to Nascar, but never the other way around. I suspect the lines, turn-in points for Formula Fords to be quite different from my Huffaker car. As for rules, Phillip posted that my car is elgible to run GT-2, but my car, like me, is too old and hard to repair. Cheers, roverman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 10:45PM by roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.