Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

custom plenum for Ford V8
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 18, 2012 03:50PM

Seeing the custom plenum work for the Rover urges me to present what I have done for my ford engine.
upperlower manifolds.jpg You can see that the manifold is a two part system, and the top half is 6" tall,
which I cannot tolerate under my TR6 hood.
adapter plate with radiused ports.jpg This is the adapter plate that attaches to the lower manifold, and has radiused entry into the runners. I would like to have velocity stacks that could be accessed for tuning, but I don't have the headroom.
14 rdius bit used.jpg A machinist said I shouldn't try this at home, but I got away with it.
top and bottom of new plenum.jpg This is the beginning of a plenum that will cross over the valve cover and place the throttle body on the drivers side. It is 1/8" alum and a little over 2" shorter than the original manifold top. I hope the volume isn't too large, and wind up killing all throttle response. The new plenum will be welded all around, and bolted to the lower manifold in the same way as the original. I will have alum. tubes for the bolts to act as crush spacers. When I have more progress on the plenum, I will pass it on.
Dennis

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: custom plenum for Ford V8
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 18, 2012 11:56PM

Looks like great progress so far.

You did the radius with a router? How slow can you dial down the RPM's? I hope you did it in a bunch of passes & had some way to hold the aluminum other than your hands. I had a piece of aluminum catch once on a table saw (geared slower but not slow enough). It kicked the piece & about took my finger off. Be careful.

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

01/25/2011 04:52PM

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Posted by: flyinlow
Date: August 19, 2012 12:23AM

That looks good
here is another option that I plan on replicating since it fits under a stock GT6 bonnet
that pic is from Matt Kline's build pics

MattKline-D.jpg

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 19, 2012 01:30PM

Rob,
That is exactly what the machinist warned me about. My PC router doesn't have variable speed, so I started with a very light cut and increased the depth by 1/64" at a time. I did get a little more aggressive with the last cut and luckily still have my digits! I fatened the plate to a 2X12 with double stick tape to hold it. I am not recommending this, just showing what I did. I also think the D-handled router helped steady the cuts. I would suspect a machine shop could do this without risk for a reasonable sum, but I'm just nuts.
Dennis

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: August 20, 2012 03:55PM

Dennis, is this top plenum to have IR's included, like oem. piece ? Picture of top, oem. manifold, showing interior detail ? roverman.

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 21, 2012 11:51AM

Roverman,
I don't have enough room for individual runners, as I am trying to limit the overall height to ~3.5". I would have liked to have trhe runners, and perhaps if there is a second iteration I will. I could see each runner bending over the valve cover to a common plenum on the one side, like the factory, only unfolded. I worry about total plenum volume, and the effect on throttle response. There may be an advantage with fuel injection, as it doesn't rely entirely on a change in manifold pressure for fueling changes, where a carburettor might not react as well. I am definitely covering new ground for myself here, and may wind up with a train wreck. I should have the beginning of the upper plenum in hand soon, and will post pictures (if the welder comes through-he is two weeks past the promise date now.)
Dennis

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: August 23, 2012 01:13AM

Dennis, good luck figuring out the proper upper intake resonance tune. Most of the Ford 5.0 Liter intakes are reversible but if the height is the problem try one off a '94-'95 Mustang 5.0 H.O.; it has a much shorter height than the '87-'93 intake. BTW, I've also tried to shape aluminum with a speed controlled router but it still got away while having to free hand the material, and yes, I did screamed "OUCH @#*%!

Jacques

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: custom plenum for Ford V8, be carefull !
Posted by: roverman
Date: August 23, 2012 11:11AM

In plastic and aluminum, using a "piloted cutter", with a drill press is ok. IE., use a drop-in plug in the port, with proper size hole, for pilot. I made a monoflute cutter,(piloted), with an interchangable part-off blade/profiled, as the cutting tool. Keep the rpm down to prevent chatter. Your results may vary. Safety Glasses ! Good Luck, roverman.

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 08, 2012 12:27PM

Well, I have finished my custom plenum that goes on the lower half of the original Explorer intake. I achieved the goal of shortening the height by 2", but I have lost the effect of tuned runners that the original design had. I know that the necessary calculations, etc are beyond my skill level, and the room to fit such a design without changing the profile of the hood (bonnet) is just not there. I hope that proper selection of cam timing, along with the light weight of the car will help aleviate some of the lost torque at lower rpm.
plenum front.jpg

This view shows the plenum crossing over the fuel rail, and the allowed clearance for taller valve covers to go over roller rockers. (2")
plenum 4 inch tall.jpg

I tried polishing the aluminum, and got "good enough". I didn't enjoy it particularly.
throttle inlet.jpg

This is the view from the throttle body mount to the inside of the plenum. The ramp on the bottom is not ideal I'm sure, but I needed the plenum extension to clear other items as I mentioned. The actual opening area at the ramp is larger than the area for the throttle
by more than 1 square inch, so we will see. The tube you see through the throttle opening is one of the structural compression tubes that transfer the mounting bolt clamping force to the lower manifold half, and prevent crushing of the 1/8" plenum.
The mounting bolts are 5/16" flange bolts with o-ring sealing under the heads. I only found the exact ones I wanted at ARP, and they are a work of art-and a little more costly than I would have liked, but what the heck.
I didn't do any of the welding on the plenum, I found a small shop to do it. They took 2 months to do the first two welds, but picked up the pace for the next two trips. Some of the welds could have been eliminated if the design had not evolved as I went, but this is a prototype design, not a production piece. (That's my excuse, and I have it written on a piece of paper in my wallet for reference!)

Dennis

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 08, 2012 06:13PM

You know Dennis, you could use internal dividers to get back at least some of the runner length. Something to consider anyway as it would be pretty easy to add them in.

Jim

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 11, 2012 05:59PM

Jim,
Since the plenum is completely welded all around, I'd have to saw it open to add the dividers. I had thought about whether I should have added some corners into the plenum to reduce its volume, but didn't. At this point, I will finish the car and engine and see what happens. I will post the results, but this project has a long way to go.
Dennis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.