(55 posts)

11/25/2008 02:28PM

Main British Car:
'80 MGB Rover 3.5

authors avatar
Air pump on Rover V8
Posted by: relative4
Date: November 13, 2012 11:34PM

I have an '80 B with a 3.5L from an '80 SD1. I want to register it in Colorado, but the emissions people won't inspect it without an air pump. I haven't yet asked them if I can run the air rail into the headers instead of the heads, but while researching the dilemma, I found that certain heads - TR8s & carbureted Land Rovers & Range Rovers - came with air injection ports. Anybody have any ideas where I could score a pair of those heads? While on the topic, does anyone have any advice, general or specific, on building air injection systems?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Air pump on Rover V8
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 13, 2012 11:58PM

eBay... typically priced a bit lower than comparable non air injection heads.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: November 14, 2012 01:08AM

Billy, I like the idea of having a clean burning engine as much as practical. Having said that, you could drill the headers to inject the air, I believe that the TR-8 have drilled manifolds and I can't see why the state would object to it. You will need the usual diverter valve and maybe solenoid valves and follow the manufacturer's engineering. If you have a fuel injected vehicle then most likely the computer will route the air through the solenoids. I plan in building a working air injection system on my EFI Ford small block however, I might have a problem with finding room for the smog pump since I had planned in having air conditioning.

One solution that I'm thinking would be to use a modern electric smog pump. Ford and GM have been using those for awhile now and it can be mounted in a remote location. I have to follow a plan to channel the air the way the Ford Mustang Fox body ('88-'93) did it. I'm thinking that I can use the ECM signal to the solenoids to also activate the electric smog pump.

Guys could make an effort to clean up the exhaust coming out the tailpipe but since no emission testing is required after 20 years in most states then people tend to simplify their built. The big problem can come in when going through certain state safety inspection such as in Virginia where I live. A tough and picky state inspector will do a visual (as required by code) to see if all the emission components are in place (in working order or not). Believe it or not, the drive belt to the smog pump is consider part of the components.

In my opinion, if the state of Colorado got you on the smog air injection then they probably also know that in 1980 the MGB had to have a catalytic converter and EGR system. This is also why people find old tittles to register their car as a pre-emission era car.

It's an added headache but once you're done, you'll feel good about cleaning up the air. I've noticed that lots of the MG pictured in the photo gallery didn't even retained the EVAP charcoal canister which is a big problem with not only the pure gas vapor escaping into the atmosphere but also wasting fuel through evaporation.

Good luck with reviving your air injection system, as I know that it can be a challenge.

Cheers,

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: November 14, 2012 01:34PM

I hate to say it but Woody @ The Wedge Shop in Massachusetts has everytihg you need. Even though they do tons pf 4 barrel conversion to TR8 he keeps all the air rails, gulp valves, air pumps and hoses. He also has a variety of cylinder heads to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.