(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Ford modular engines
Posted by: danmas
Date: December 06, 2012 10:01PM

Occasionally, some one asks about using one of the Ford modular engines in an MGB, and the usual answer is - it won't fit! They are right! This month's issue of Street Rodder magazine has an article on these motors and includes a pictoral comparing the modular motor with a Ford 351 (wider and taller than a 302) and a Chevy 350.

How's this for mixed metaphor: A 4.6 DOHC modular motor with dual quad carburetors? Why not (except it won't fit).

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Ford modular engines
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 07, 2012 08:29AM

It's a big motor for sure. I had one out of a Crown Vic sitting in the garage back before I painted my car so naturally I looked at it but it was just too tall and wide. Heavy too, but that was with the cast iron block. Still, I can't imagine the alloy motor being a lightweight. Lots of metal in that thing.

Jim

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 07, 2012 08:38AM

Same basic design that's in Jenny's Jag XK8. The Jag engine is all aluminum and sports quad cams and 32 valves, but basically the same block. It is wiiiiiiide though.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 07, 2012 09:48AM

I didn't think a Big Block Buick would fit. Okay, so what if it spills over a little bit! "Where there's a will, there's a way."

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: December 07, 2012 10:47AM

In that same Street Rodder on page 51 they show a '40 Ford with one of those engines in it. It fits but there isn't much room to spare they couldn't even fit the air filter in and had to put it in the driver's side wheel well. I'm sure that element stays clean.. If you have ever seen a '40 with a SBF it almost looks lost in the bottom of the engine compartment.

Edit: Took another look and the air filter is on the passenger side. It still won't stay very clean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2012 11:15AM by Jim Stabe.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Ford modular engines in a JH ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: December 07, 2012 12:47PM

If you want to be spoiled by engine compartment "caverns", look no further than the Jensen Healey/IMHO. roverman.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: December 07, 2012 01:57PM

Quote:
Okay, so what if it spills over a little bit! "Where there's a will, there's a way."

It won't fit. There is no way to get it in an MGB. It'll never happen. It can't be done. Not even Jim Stabe or the BADASS crew can do it.

So, who's going to be the first to do it? I can't wait to see it done!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 07, 2012 02:32PM

It could be possible. Based on a quick internet search, the dimensions could work and the weight is going to be around 500 lbs. Heavy but not impossible. I mean, if a SBC will work...
The heads are very good but do have some reliability issues. With a height of 28" and intake ports that come straight up out of the heads it is almost guaranteed to go through the hood but a pair of inline 4 bbl downdraft carbs or injectors would be bad as hell. Possibly a log exhaust like on the Roadmaster could be fit into the space available. Won't help with scavenging but...

I think you should do it Dan. Could be a sweet conversion.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 07, 2012 02:52PM

Not "modular", but have you guys seen the latest addition to our Project Journal section? Mads in Denmark is putting a Jaguar S-type V6 (Ford) engine in his TVR. Nice!

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Ford modular engines or ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: December 07, 2012 06:22PM

Ok, So the "Mod" motor is 500lbs ? Iron block ? W/wo accessories ? Iron block Gen. II Hemi is approx. 485, this with a 62 lb. crank, and (1) heavy cam. roverman.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 07, 2012 09:55PM

Nah, that is the aluminum block motor.

Jim

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: December 07, 2012 10:18PM

Ford modular engine weights and dimensions are given here:

[www.sullivanperformance.com]

Dan Jones
Dan Jones
St. Louis, Missouri
(280 posts)

07/21/2008 03:32PM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5L Rover V8

Posted by: Dan Jones
Date: December 09, 2012 12:27PM

> How's this for mixed metaphor: A 4.6 DOHC modular motor with dual quad carburetors?

I know a street rodder that is doing a Ford 4.6L DOHC V8 with downdraft Webers.

> It's a big motor for sure. I had one out of a Crown Vic

And that's the less wide SOHC version. The DOHC is wider still.
They are quite short though, as they were originally designed for
a tranverse FWD application.

> I can't imagine the alloy motor being a lightweight.

The 4.6L DOHC aluminum block engines are claimed to be around 425 lbs.

> Same basic design that's in Jenny's Jag XK8.

While both are DOHC V8's, the 4.0L Jaguar AJ-V8 is a completely different
design from the Ford 4.6L DOHC V8 with no parts interchange.

> It fits but there isn't much room to spare

The Ford 4.6L DOHC V8 is actually wider than a 460 big block Ford which is
wider than a Buick 455. I've got a set of 2004 Cobra heads sitting on my
bench. They are quite bulky. A few guys have swapped them into Panteras
which will accept a BBF with no body modifications. The inner fenders have
to be notched or the heads shaved to fit the 4.6L DOHC V8.

> the air filter is on the passenger side

Early Lincoln 4.6L DOHC V8 had the air entry at the back. The one in my
1963 Thunderbird roadster project is from a 1998 Lincoln Mk VIII and had
the side entry, as does the ported 2001 Mustang Cobra intake I'm using.

> The heads are very good but do have some reliability issues.

Ford has had a bunch of different heads on the modular V8s. Some flow
better than others. Besides the 2V and 3V versions, there were multiple
4V versions (B, C, 2003-2004, Ford GT, FR500, Navigator, etc.) all which
require compatible intake manifolds. The 2Vs are dogs. I'm using 2004
Cobra Mustang 4V versions for my project.

There were a number of teething problems and Ford didn't correct the three
thread spark plug holes until 2003, at least for the Lightning 2V heads.

> Possibly a log exhaust like on the Roadmaster could be fit into the space available.

Some of the stock tubular manifolds fit close to the block but are
restrictive. There are also compact shorty headers available. I've
got some JBA stainless steel shorties I won't be using if someone is
interested.

> So the "Mod" motor is 500lbs ? Iron block ? W/wo accessories ?

That's the weight listed for the iron block 4.6L SOHC, supposedly
with accesories. The 4.6L DOHC aluminum block engine is listed at
425 lbs.

If you select the right parts, they will handle an unreasonable amount of
power but building a normally aspirated 4.6L DOHC can get quite expensive.
The FRPP M-6550-T46 FR500 cam kit is considered the best deal in cams and
rings in at $1695.00 and you still need the TTY headbolt kit.

It's in a large American car, not a LBC, but I've got a few pictures of
my 4.6L DOHC project car here:

s1127.beta.photobucket.com/user/danielcjones2/library/Cars/1963 Thunderbird Roadster Project

A 1998 Lincoln Mk VIII served as the donor, supplying the aluminum block 4.6L
DOHC V8, as well as the automatic overdrive transmission, 4 wheel independent
suspension and disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, cooling, air ride, fuel
injection, aluminum driveshaft, etc. I still need to add some pictures of the
engine bits but the final engine will be:

1998 Lincoln 4.6L DOHC V8 (Tecksid aluminum block)
2001 Mustang Cobra intake manifold (cut, ported and welded back together)
Mach 1 lid
BBK dual bore throttle body
2004 Mustang Cobra heads
FRPP FR500 camshafts
Kooks long tube stainless headers

Dan Jones

nobogez07
Doug Brown
Webster, South Dakota
(58 posts)

12/11/2012 05:38PM

Main British Car:
1971 Mk II MGB coupe 1992 302 Ford H.O. EFI

Posted by: nobogez07
Date: December 15, 2012 03:22PM

Just another thought. Are the new Ford truck motor (Not Eco Boost) a 5.0L only an aluminum block. If so you should have many options that carry over from your 302 build!!

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 15, 2012 05:03PM

The 'new' 302 is also a modular engine - not related to the 'old' 302.

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Posted by: waterbucket
Date: December 27, 2012 03:04PM

I have made a couple of posts on here but this is the first time that I have declared my intended build. In my shed I have the following (amongst many other bits and pieces) a 4.6 dohc modular engine, a bellhousing and a world class T5 gearbox and a Griffin radiator. There is also a complete irs from a Jaguar XJS and a set of narrowed driveshafts and wishbones. On the drive is a 1978 MGB GT. Due to pressure of work I have not started on this project yet but that should change over the next few months!
I have taken many measurements and I believe that it could fit, the length is 24 inches and the height varies from version to version (the MK8 Lincoln is only 24 inches high) The engine that I have is a brand new 1999 Cobra which was purchased at a silly price $1800 so if it will not fit I will recoup my money and install a Rover V8. The width is the problem at 28 inches but this is just over the cam sprockets, the heads narrow to 26 inches from there back.
My engine has the Teksid block and with a T5 gearbox should weigh about the same as the original 1800 engine and overdrive gearbox. In fact with the heavier Jaguar rear suspension a little more front end weight may help the balance. The Teksid alloy block weighs about 78lbs less than the iron block sohc engine, there are many quoted weights for these engines that vary a lot, it depends on alloy or cast iron block and just how many ancillaries are fitted
I have searched the internet many time to find that this is an impossible swap but have also seen others claim that the Lexus V8 is an easy swap. the Lexus engine is in fact a little larger but has the advantage in that the starter motor is in the "Vee" of the engine. hopefully I will make a start in the summer and will keep you posted on the progress, the other problem that I have is that we want to demolish and rebuild the front half of the house and that is scheduled for the summer as well, just as well my wife has recently said that we must start on the MG!
Philip

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 27, 2012 06:48PM

Philip, this is one of those rare cases where having the engine on hand is justification enough to see if it will fit and can be made to work. I have not heard of a Lexus/MGB swap. I know they have been used successfully in the Triumph TR-7 but it has a much wider engine bay.

Your steering and your exhaust are going to be the problem areas. You can move the firewall cone down and the '78 already has the u-joint tucked up to the rear and that may take care of it but you will know more once you can set the engine into place. Engine mounts may be challenging. We had to use a tubular log type exhaust on the MG-Roadmaster's Buick 455. You may have to consider something similar.

Let us know when you get the old engine out and are ready for a test fit. There are several members here who have been curious about this engine for quite some time.

Jim

waterbucket
Philip Waterman
England
(112 posts)

07/30/2011 01:08PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT

Posted by: waterbucket
Date: December 28, 2012 05:38AM

Jim
It was not quite like it sounds, I had a 3.9 Rover engine and gearbox complete with all the mods to fit it into the MG, it was taken by error and unbelievably was buried on a building site, the culprit claimed that he could not pinpoint its position. It was time to start over again, I noticed that these engines were coming upon Ebay at frequent intervals and went to the sellers to measure both SOHC & DOHC engines. I chose the DOHC because it was 75lbs lighter and if the SOHC could be made to fit then the bigger engine should as well. The T5 gearbox came along with the input shaft for a Rover V8 so I hedged my bets there and will change input shafts if the engine fits. One point that I would make is that there is a huge amount of misleading information regarding this engine on the web particularly regarding weight, it appears that most people believe that the DOHC motor must weigh more and seem to add the 75 lbs weight saving from the alloy block on rather than subtracting it.
I forgot to mention that I also have a rubber bumper MGB GT bodyshell with no engine and transmission.I started to lower the modular engine into it but the oil filter and water inlet which is another obstacle to overcome got in the way, as my shed is 14 miles from where I live and I had no tools I came home without achieving anything.
You are absolutely correct that the engine mounts and exhaust are the big problems to overcome but as the engine is so short I may be able to move it forward although that puts it into the lower bonnet level area.
If you go to www. pistonheads.com page 39 (June 2009) of gassing under the heading of MGB V8 Conversion you will find someone who claims to have fitted a Lexus V8 into a MG B for $2300. I also read some where else that Dan Masters was asking someone else to document the same conversion and submit it to British V8. I figure if the Lexus engine will fit then the shorter modular motor will as well.
If anyone has any advice I will accept it with thanks, it may save me time and precious money, with the work on the house that will be in very short supply. This is the very first time that I have attempted an engine transplant and I may have chosen an impossible one but in the eighties I built a car from scratch, chassis and body work from steel tubing, plywood and alloy sheet the only items purchased ready made were the radiator surround the scuttle under the windscreen.
regards Philip
regards Philip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 05:43AM by waterbucket.

Dan Jones
Dan Jones
St. Louis, Missouri
(280 posts)

07/21/2008 03:32PM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5L Rover V8

Posted by: Dan Jones
Date: January 01, 2013 10:36PM

> You are absolutely correct that the engine mounts and exhaust are the big problems to overcome

If you scroll down the page at:

[www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net]

there are a couple of pictures of a set of JBA stainless steel shorty headers for a 2003-2004
Mustang Cobra. Not sure if they would work in your application but they tuck up against the
block fairly tightly and being steel, instead of cast iron, can be easily cut and welded.

Dan Jones

Robert Breedlove
Robert Breedlove

(11 posts)

01/16/2013 11:48PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Robert Breedlove
Date: January 18, 2013 08:22PM

Bill Young.

The mod motors and the Jag motor are not related. The Jag motor is the same basic motor as the V8 in the last Thunderbirds and the Lincoln LS. It is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the mod motors(all of them are aluminum blocks). The Rovers built just after the BOPR motor stopped is also a variant of the Jag motor. Where a mod won't fit, the Jag might.

There are several variants, the simplest is the T-bird motor at 3.9 liters and 290 hp. It has cam phasers only on the intake cams. The Jag comes in two flavors, the 4.0 NA and the 4.2 supercharged, they have cam phasers on both intake and exhaust and 300(?) and 400 hp. The Rover 4.4 has an entirely different intake setup with dual cam phasers, I don't know what they claim for hp, but they come in both NA and supercharged forms. Ford designed this motor at a time when they had substantial financial interest in both Jag and Rover as they were looking to replace the BOP in the Rover and the Jag straight 6 at the same time and the mod motors were too big for the Jag. Jag subsequently went it's own way and Rover was bought by BMW. BMW adopted the Ford motor as their own, as did Jag. The only American cars that ever had this motor were the Tbird and the Lincoln LS, neither is in production today.

RB
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.