(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Turbo BOP
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 18, 2013 07:56PM

Good points all. And not trying to change your mind, it sounds like you know what you want. 52/48 is actually very, very good. We also added weight to the rear of the 455 GT, to be fair about it. (IRS)

Probably not relevant but the Buick 300 and 350 blocks are nearly identical with refinements more in the form of removing more weight in the later years. Some minor changes, relocating the center tappet centerlines to accommodate the new port layout, and all cam bearings the same bore which allowed a slightly larger base circle. The late 350 was the lightest iron SBB. But there are still no aluminum heads for it. The BOP is generally quoted as weighing 318 lbs, the later Rovers are several pounds heavier. The 300 block is 80 lbs heavier, crank is the same, other parts within grams. The 340 block is 82 lbs heavier, and not sure about the 350.

So taking the 300 as 398 lbs (or 395 if we use your numbers) that is only 72 lbs heavier than stock and roughly centered over the front wheels. You say your IRS will add 100 lbs which will be roughly centered over the rear wheels. It sounds an awful lot to me like you would be very close to retaining your 52/48 weight balance or maybe even improve it a little.

We think the SBF is about 6 lbs lighter than the 300 Buick due to the extra weight of the skirted block, so it is entirely possible that what you are talking about here is a shift of an extra 35 lbs to the rear of the car WITH the SBF engine. Can't really see how that is going to make it plow, and the up side is that you already know how to get up to 500 hp out of that engine. Plus you stay in the Ford line which probably doesn't matter to you but it sure does to most enthusiasts.

But again, not trying to talk you out of it, and as these guys will tell you I'm not a Ford enthusiast so it's a little out of character for me anyway. It's the solution that makes the most sense to me, but who says any of this is about being sensible?

Jim

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Turbo BOP, or Lotus ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: January 19, 2013 03:34PM

"This one's in a Healey". Robert, What if the Healey motor was in the Pinto ? Jensen Healey that is, about 285 lbs, with accessories. Fred Key, of this forum reportedly made 400 hp. with a turboed version,(Lotus 907-912). Because of the Jensen volume, these engines are relative cheap, to get hold of. Good Luck, roverman.

Robert Breedlove
Robert Breedlove

(11 posts)

01/16/2013 11:48PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Robert Breedlove
Date: January 25, 2013 12:39PM

Roverman

The Jensen-Healy has a really bad reputation, I don't know if it is deserved or not. If I wanted to go the four cylinder route I would be looking for either a Cossie or a Volvo-2.3 hybrid(A Folvo?). In six cylinders there is the Duratech(up to 3.5) but a problem with manual bellhousings. The Mazda motor in the MX5 is another option. I'm just trying to use what I already have, so the choices are the Rover or the SHO V6. Much as I want the SHO, it just wont fit(mainly because of the oil pan/height problem). If I had money, I would get a Jaguar AJ-V8(either the 3.9 in the Thunderbird/LS, or any of the V8 Jags). It's oil pan is near perfect to fit over the front cross member.

Grumpy

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: January 30, 2013 04:16AM

Just to mess everyone up what about the Merc Marine 3.7L 4 banger?
It's made out of low speed torque and bad attitude.
Really common engine, keeps it all Ford and parts are cheap, it's 1/2 of a 460.
Run a blower on it for show and low end torque and your good to go .
If you want to race it ,that's been done and there is tons of info available.
Cheers
Fred

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 30, 2013 10:14AM

Messed up! First of all, I think "Mercruiser" sounds pretty cool. I just read this description: "The block is aluminum with iron sleeves and it uses a Ford cylinder head. Freshwater cooling was standard. The alternator is built in to the harmonic balancer and the water pump is driven by the camshaft so no belts are used except for power steering." Imagine that... no belts!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 30, 2013 12:41PM

It's a pretty cool motor, there is a thread on this site about it. It does have some issues. It is tall. The water pump seal will flood the crankcase if it goes out, and it is fairly common to see external alternators. But a very powerful engine with great breathing potential, and with a turbo it would be killer. Very hard to fit in an MG, but it just might fit a Pinto like a glove.

Jim

Robert Breedlove
Robert Breedlove

(11 posts)

01/16/2013 11:48PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Robert Breedlove
Date: January 31, 2013 09:29PM

Wow! It uses 460 heads, rods and bearings. Even some of the new Boss 429 heads might work.
AR HEMI HEAD MKII 001.jpg

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: February 01, 2013 11:19AM

Clan, I think a I see a 45deg. int. mounting surface on this head ? So... custom pan and pick-up, motor mounts and "lean" engineering , to get the hood clearance ? Sawed-off shot gun motor ? Cheers, roverman.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.