Nebraska
(76 posts)

09/02/2013 01:41PM

Main British Car:
1957 TR3 Buick 231 evenfire V6

Re: Buick V6 info
Posted by: ghornbostel
Date: October 25, 2015 10:31AM

You might want to go to gnttype.org and look at the resources section for good information on cylinder heads. The 8445 cylinder head is simply end of development for the even-fire turbo production engine . Actually there are several casting numbers. All even-fire heads fit on any even-fire block. Stage II blocks came in on center and off center versions. Stage I blocks came off center machined with the 4 bolt pattern. It would appear that 8445 heads will fit on these blocks using the 4 bolt pattern instead of the 6 bolt stage II pattern. It is also my understanding that the stage I head is the same as the TA and Champion GN-1 aluminum head. They are machined for the 6 bolt pattern but bolt on any even-fire block. Stage II heads will only take stage II intake manifolds. The ports are evenly spaced, large and very pricey. You already know how much a set of GN-1 heads cost so the 8445 heads modified are the way to go. You can get a set of 8445 heads from Champion completely modified with valves and springs also. The gnttype photo guide pretty well walks you through the porting. Before I did my engine I asked a lot of questions and did a lot of reading about it. It is a well developed engine that in NA form can put out about 350 max hp as a stage I. The development really was centered around the turbo and the horse power numbers really jump in that realm. Could you live with it on the street...probably depends on you. My motor is 10:1 with about the same cam timing as your KB. The Weber carbs, matched ports and bowl ported heads and headers I believe it is putting out about 200 hp. I have a 14lb flywheel and it had a learning curve to the dead start procedure. It would probably help if I had a 3.5:1 rear end instead of the 2.9 but the gas mileage is pretty good and my passenger usually won't let me get into too many demonstrations of speed in the city.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2015 01:45PM by ghornbostel.

markh
Mark harris

(1 posts)

10/29/2015 02:20AM

Main British Car:

Re: Buick V6 info
Posted by: markh
Date: November 14, 2015 12:27AM

a note on the thought of all even fire heads fit even fire blocks that is true to the point that they will physically bolt on.(heads will bolt on Going way back to the early sixties v6) but throughout the years there have been differences in water jacket design and water transfer hole locations. One must match a head to the block for correct water sealing.. For example a 4.1 head will not work on a early 3.8 engines. the block and heads are cast in a slightly different shape that there will be mismatch and severe water leakage there is extra material above the cylinder areas on the 4.1 with relocated water transfer port. Note that some heads have water "holes" and thers have a "D" shape to them. excluding the water jacket transfers on the very end of the head and block these are often referred to as dogbone holes. some people have welded these up for extra block strength and to slow down the water through the block and heads. and for more even heat distribution.
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.