Webster, South Dakota
(58 posts)

12/11/2012 05:38PM

Main British Car:
1971 Mk II MGB coupe 1992 302 Ford H.O. EFI

Direct Fire Ignition
Posted by: nobogez07
Date: February 19, 2013 09:08PM

One of the issues I've had with the 5.0L Ford is the big distributor in the front of the motor. It takes up room I would like for the air intake.

Has anyone ever used a direct fire ignition system (ie Electromotive or similar) in their engine. If so, what's your take on both reliability and performance?

I'm entertaining the idea and I'd like some feedback on the subject if anyone has had the experience.

Doug

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Direct Fire Ignition
Posted by: Moderator
Date: February 20, 2013 03:17AM

Have you read this article already?
Intro to Electromotive Direct Ignition

Distributors are such crude, old-fashioned devices - it shouldn't be hard to beat them in terms of reliability and performance. Several people on this board have put Ford EDIS systems on cars that didn't originally come so equipped. (Jim Blackwood? Bill Jacobson?) EDIS is probably more cost effective than Electromotive. Didn't some 5.0L Explorers come with EDIS?

If EFI is in your plans, you might want to consider an integrated engine control system. For example, MegaSquirt MS3-Pro can be configured for Direct Ignition only, EFI only, or both. Have a look at the manual. MS3-Pro features lots of potential for custom tuning!

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Re: Direct Fire Ignition
Posted by: burner1
Date: February 20, 2013 10:24AM

I used the XDI for my Pantera. Easy to set up. I cut my own toothed wheel on the laser. My brother sells them. He uses them for the V12's he sells but has put them on many things including his Contenental 1790 engine from a tank:

[www.electromotive-inc.com]

[www.thunderv12.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.