(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Setbacks?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 24, 2013 05:45PM

I almost have to laugh at myself sometimes. I just killed entirely too much time making a very pretty little throttle linkage, only to discover it's backwards. It mounts to the throttle body 180 degrees wrong. Result: the pedal would be "floored" at idle. To accelerate, you'd have to lift the pedal off the floor. Looks like I'll have to remake the links and add a bellcrank mechanism on a bracket somewhere in the middle. What a pain!

So, here's my question:

Have you guys experienced any interesting setbacks with your BritishV8 projects lately? Fess up!

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Setbacks?
Posted by: roverman
Date: March 24, 2013 06:11PM

Curtis and clan, first your temporary problem, put a gas pedal "safety strap", over the pedal. Leave the linkage, as-is. Great theft deturrent, and works seldom used muscles !, no, not the one between the ears.My set-backs,(many), are me! I shall blame this on Gemini, ie. 2 heads that never stick to a finite/workable plan. My build a hot rod life, seems to be a not-so-merry- go-round of scope migration.To better support this trend, I bought a "track day" Z28. I consider this a diversion, in the right direction. Time will tell. FWIW, motor set-backs are good. Poor poor pitful me, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzroverman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 02:06PM by roverman.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 24, 2013 07:35PM

Oooh setbacks... Well there's the Blackwood Corollary to Murphy's Law: If it's worth doing it's worth doing twice. Betcha can't guess the origin of that one. ;-)

Jim

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: March 24, 2013 08:00PM

I'm with Jim. If I hadn't needed to redo things several times over, I'd be driving the damned thing already. The only recent set back I've had is the weather...which is not of my making. Been snowing or in the 30s and lower since mid-January (except for a one weekend of high 40s) — too cold for an old like me to be laying about on the garage floor.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: March 24, 2013 11:24PM

Hello the funniest setback that I had with my car was maybe not a setback but just one more obstacle I had my brand-new 347 all built sitting on a stand in the garage next to my TR six still running car driving it every day my wife and I were sitting in the garage talking and she looked at me and said you're crazy it's not going to fit look at it it's taller than the whole car at that time it had a 9 inch tall Parker funle manifold and carb spacer and air cleaner and it didn't look that tall we got the tape measure out and sure enough oil and flat on the ground it was a half-inch taller than the top of the hood we laughed my wife went back in the house and said it's okay honey I know you'll squeeze it in there somehow a little oil pan modification different intake a couple other changes 3 inch cowle on hood now it fits but after all that I still have one thing on that problem to fix how I overlooked it I just don't know my car sits very low I'm very proud I have nothing sticking below the frime except one thing to days of welding building an oil and I forgot to move the drain plug to the side to this day the only thing that sticks down to low maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it on here you'll all laugh

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: burner1
Date: March 25, 2013 09:29AM

My biggest setback is getting diverted to a basement renovation or other house hold and life diversions.

What was I in the middle of when I pu my tools down?

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: March 25, 2013 11:18AM

The last entry on the long list was making the arms for limiting the rotation of the hood hinge. I cut them out of 1/4" aluminum then sandwiched them together so they could be sanded and finished on the edges and would be identical. Then I had to bend the ends 90* to form the stop - I bent two left side arms instead of mirror image parts. That has been a recurring theme throughout the project.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: March 25, 2013 03:35PM

Here's one that really sucks. I have the intake, radiator and all the engine wiring off my Hillman to fix a fuel leak and to repair and tidy up the wiring. I decided that I hate dirty black engine bays and spent last weekend cleaning everything and painting the engine bay gloss gray. Looks nice, but unfortunately I managed to put a dime sized chip on the edge of one of the fenders. Now I have to try to fix it and it's going to be hard to make it disappear. You shoulda heard the obscenities going through my mind.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 25, 2013 08:44PM

I made a few parts backwards and you guys may remember the minor set-back I had on my first test drive. Started over heating within the first few minutes of driving... got home and realized I had my fan in backwards so it was trying to push hot engine bay air out thru the radiator!

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Posted by: kerbau53
Date: March 26, 2013 07:26AM

Trying to get the parking lamps to work and not being able to get out on the highway for a real test drive yet even though it' running and capable of going. No time.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: March 26, 2013 02:43PM

No time or real useable space....soon to be corrected!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 27, 2013 03:41AM

Remembered another one while responding to someone over on the MGE board... I had to redo about every third or fourth brake line flare because I'd forget to put the nut on before making the flare. Sometimes that meant having to reshape a new line because they'd be too short after cutting the end to re-do the flare.

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 27, 2013 10:33AM

That's the classic one Rob. Cut it off twice and it's still too short.

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: burner1
Date: March 27, 2013 01:32PM

I always say @#$%& was a carpenter. I just build stuff!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 27, 2013 04:23PM

So here's what the bellcrank looks like:

ThrottleLinkagePreview.jpg

Lisa says this isn't a proper Rube Goldberg machine because it's missing a canary and an elephant.

The good news is that the motion is smooth and the pedal travel is correct...

Note: the throttle-return spring isn't installed, so you're viewing the wide-open-throttle position. There are a couple other little cosmetic improvements to be made. Chief among them, when a second pair of male Heim joints arrive I'll redo the top link.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: March 27, 2013 04:51PM

Quality workmanship Curtis......
Guaranteed to function properly with engine torque?

flitner
John Fenner
Miami Fl
(168 posts)

03/11/2010 10:58AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB 350 CHEVY

Posted by: flitner
Date: March 29, 2013 04:25PM

I'd venture to say the major setbacks for my project were keeping a daily driver going for the wife to haul the kids around due to the Tahoe getting Tboned and getting it repaired and repainted back to roadworthy condition. That and the beer factor of course.

mgbv81970
Scott Wooley
Frederick Colorado
(23 posts)

09/07/2011 02:20PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB 289 Ford V8

authors avatar
Posted by: mgbv81970
Date: March 29, 2013 06:45PM

I think I've got you all beat so far.

My engine is a Ford 289 which I acquired as a core years ago. I rebuilt the engine myself and spared no time or expense in getting it as perfect as I know how. I measured, checked and double checked every tolerance and clearance. When the day came to finally start the engine for the first time, I spun the oil pump with a drill to prime it and noticed immediately that I had no oil pressure on my brand new oil pressure gauge. Because I was having other problems at the time with my newly installed Automer Nexus gauges, I assumed the no oil pressure was due to the Nexus network module malfunctioning and decided to fire the engine anyway. It fired up and ran strong for about 4 minutes while breaking in the cam, then died suddenly and would not restart- the engine was locked. As it turned out, the problem was due to my remote oil filter being plumbed backwards. The oil made it to the filter, and that was it. It destroyed the pistons, the block and the crank. So back to the drawing board.... I found another 289 on Craigslist for $200 and built it exactly the same way as the first, with one glaring exception of course. Moral: Don't fire a new engine without first priming until there is oil at all rocker arms, period.
As for the Autometer Nexus gauges: All had to be removed, including harnesses, senders, etc and returned to Autometer to have all replaced with equivalent replacements. (They could no longer get parts for that series, and then they discontinued them shortly after I had installed them...grrr) The gauge replacement alone has set me back a month and the engine replacement took the better part of 3 months to complete.

A How-It-Was-Done coming soon...

Cheers

Scott

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: March 30, 2013 03:52PM

Oh Scott, that truly sucks

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: March 30, 2013 09:11PM

Ok similar, Autometer electrical oil pressure gage,fast idles at approx. 85 psi, and as soon as it's reved, drops to 70 psi ! I shall first try a different/verified-correct sender.I know this sounds like oil pick-up is too close to bottom of pan-But first things first. Cheerrs, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.