10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
knock sensor?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 12, 2013 02:11PM

Just hypothetically...

If you wanted to install a knock sensor on a really old V8 engine (e.g. Buick 215), how would you go about it?

General tips?

Advice about sourcing the sensor?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: knock sensor?
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: April 12, 2013 03:35PM

I would just copy the Rover engines.
Outside center of the block. About 1.5" down from the deck. Just above the center frost plugs.
Seems to be a pretty consistent location for most OHV V8s
OHC V8s seem to favour mounting under the intake manifold.
The typical Bosch center bolt two wire sensor would be my choice. The alternative would probably be the GM style single lead unit, but they take up a lot of room.
Suitable electronics would be the hardest part. Unless you're using an aftermarket FI ECU. Megasquirt, Motec, Electromotive etc.
There are some older systems around that work but not that well. They don't filter the signal well enough and only control timing. You can have a noisy lifter put your engine into a full retard meltdown.
If you are just using them for tuning then a scope will work. Watching the output of the sensors is pretty interesting.
Cheers
Fred

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: knock sensor?
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 15, 2013 07:50PM

I mounted two of them on my Olds 215 and used the stud type, Rover I believe. On the driver's side towards the front of the block is a tooling lug with a hole through it. I tapped that hole and screwed the sensor in there. For the other one I made a thread adapter from metric to 3/8"-NC and screwed it into an accessory boss on the back end of the head. Used the signal to run Phil Ringwood's KS detector circuit built on the prototype area of my MegaSquirt control board and put a lens in the side of the case so I could see the LED from the driver's seat. Did not use it to automatically control timing but as a visual indicator when tuning.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.