steve martin

(7 posts)

03/13/2013 08:35AM

Main British Car:

How to connect a 3.9 to a T5???
Posted by: smartin436
Date: April 13, 2013 05:25PM

Hi All,
I'm thinking about swapping our MGB from the 3.4 V6 T5, to a 3.9 Rover, keeping the 94 Camaro T5. The V6 is a major improvement over the stock 4 banger but I'm looking for more.

I will buy a bellhousing to get the trans connected to the engine from one of the suppliers but would like to know if there are any other options for clutch/flywheel/pressureplate/starter.
Is there a OEM flywheel that will work that is rediliy available? What clutch would work with it? I did a trial fit on the 3.9 the other day, (my V6 is currently out for HTOB issues), it looks like the factory Rover starter may work, if so that would save me $225.00 on the swap. Is anyone running a OEM Rover starter on their MGB?

Last question (for Now)
Headers..........which are best, block hugger or thru the fender wall, and why?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: How to connect a 3.9 to a T5???
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 14, 2013 03:39AM

Splitting your various questions into respective threads will probably help you get a better response.

Note also that BritishV8 has a large archive (here) plus many helpful How It Was Done articles.

I'm using a '92 Camaro (V8) spec T5 behind my own Buick 215. Originally I used a Buick OEM flywheel (reference 1 and 2) and OEM (three-finger) pressure plate with a 1980's vintage Mercedes clutch disc to suit the T5 gearbox's 26 spline input shaft and the pressure plate's small outside diameter. Later I decided I wanted a diaphragm pressure plate for lower pedal effort so I bought a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc set from D&D. I'm still using a stock Delco Remy starter with it, as I have from the beginning. I'm not aware of any reason why a Rover starter wouldn't work...

I suspect this article might be of interest: Modifying the Rover Crankshaft for T5 Transmission Use

This article will give you a good starting point re: headers: Headers for MGB V8 (Rover/Buick) Conversions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.