10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
hmmm... what's this?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 25, 2013 05:49PM

http://www.britishracecar.com/RickHaynes-MG-Midget/RickHaynes-MG-Midget-BP.jpg

This snapshot of an MG Midget vintage racecar apparently shows a Hall effect sensor aimed at a trigger wheel mounted adjacent to the crankshaft pulley... except I don't see any teeth! I'm guessing there's just one tooth on the trigger wheel. Most ignition and fuel injection systems have many more teeth than that (e.g. 35 or 58) to facilitate more precise measurement. Incidentally, this car has a Mallory Unilite distributor and an MSD6AL box. It has a Jones mechanical tach.

So what's this sensor for?

Normally a four-stroke two-cylinder engine fires twice per crankshaft revolution, right? Every second spark is wasted. My guess is that someone has figured out how to fire their coil just once per revolution... so that the ignition coil has twice as long to build up a charge and therefore will provide a stronger spark at high rpm. Are you guys aware of any commercially available product which would perform this trick?

Do you have a better guess for what this sensor is doing here?

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Re: hmmm... what's this?
Posted by: burner1
Date: April 26, 2013 11:18AM

Hard to tell without asking the guy but it could be timed to the teeth in the belt pully. There is plenty of mass in the teethed pully to trigger it. I know someone who addapted a setup for a Contenental 1790 and in experimenting out of curiosity he moved it away from the toothed wheel and it was running fine over 6" away so I would say the proximity would work whith what I see.; but then again tis is nothign but forum speculation.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 26, 2013 01:49PM

You may be right about the pulley teeth and he might even have filed off a tooth or two to give a position reference. I like your idea, but in this case my intuition says the owner has done otherwise. I see a plate outboard of the pulley that's maybe 4 or 5mm thick. (I think maybe it has a spot of red paint on it.) What else would that plate be for? I've been assuming its the trigger wheel. I'll ask the racer, but I'm not hopeful about getting a straight answer. He's both clever and very, very cagey!

Now, about his MSD6AL box... It sure seems fishy to me! First of all, I don't believe this particular driver would have any want or need for a rev-limiter, so even if he were going to use an MSD he probably wouldn't pick that model. I wish I'd taken better photos of his wiring so I could trace it. I have an idea that maybe he tossed the MSD electronics and put something else inside the MSD case. That would be consistent with some of the other tricks I've discovered on his car.

flitner
John Fenner
Miami Fl
(168 posts)

03/11/2010 10:58AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB 350 CHEVY

Posted by: flitner
Date: April 26, 2013 04:53PM

Infrared tachometer?

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: May 02, 2013 05:23PM

If he's running a distributor and it's cam-driven, there shouldn't be a wasted spark as the cam turns half as fast as the crank. In my Midget days I'm pretty sure my cam drove the distributor and that meant only two sparks per crank rotation to the corresponding cylinder.

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.