Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

MegaSquirt 3 & battery cut-off switch
Posted by: NCtim
Date: May 11, 2013 05:48PM

Hey guys,

I was over that other site reading some thoughts about MS 3 systems and someone popped the question about battery cut-out switches. If you have to tune the MS 3 from scratch and then you store your car for the winter with the battery disconnected, do you have to start from scratch the next time you try to fire it up in the spring? What about while you're on vacation and the battery is out for homeowners insurance reasons? Same deal? Seems like MS 3 is a damn lot of work to have sequential fired ignition.

Tim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: MegaSquirt 3 & battery cut-off switch
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 11, 2013 10:13PM

MS3-Pro has a replaceable SD memory card inside its case for storing programming data and also has a watch battery inside its case to keep its real time clock running. You can download the manual in pdf format here: [www.diyautotune.com] (Page 12 covers servicing the memory and battery card.)

I will be using MS3-Pro with a battery disconnect switch, and with no silly polyswitch or fuse work-arounds.

MS3-Pro has many other cool features besides sequential ignition. My initial installation doesn't even include its ignition features - that's phase 2 - but I expect to be very happy even just with phase 1.

Be careful with that other site...

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(325 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: May 12, 2013 12:17AM

Tim, Curtis,

MS3 will retain it's memory even with the battery disconnected. I've had my battery disconnected since last August while I was doing some paint/body work and reinstalled the battery just the other day and she fired right up!

Also as a back up, you can save your tune (called msq in Mega-Squirt lingo) in your lap top. Then if something really weird happens, you can always reflash the ECU with your saved tune/settings.

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 12:38AM by MG four six eight.

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: May 12, 2013 05:22PM

Thanks guys. I was hoping that was the case. I think I'll proceed as planned. BTW, Curtis I step lightly over there but I do look at their classifieds. :-)

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.