Current Page: 1 of 4

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
How to pick ignition coils (for use w/ MS3 etc.)
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 05, 2013 01:03PM

MS3-Pro will support pretty much any ignition coil I want to use, but what are the trade-offs?

Some specific questions:
If I can neatly package eight individual Chevy LS2/Truck coils, is there a reason not to use them?
Is it possible to have too-hot a coil, on a programmable, crank-fired electronic ignition system?
Are some coils audibly louder?
Do some coils produce more electronic noise which might disturb other electronics?
Apparently external capacitors are suggested for some coils, and some require an extra lead or two.
Is it harder or easier to keep some coils cool... or does that really matter much?

Note: I started researching here... [www.megamanual.com]

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: How to pick ignition coils (for use w/ MS3 etc.)
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 05, 2013 04:16PM

Curtis, I think it comes down to the choice of logic-level coils with a built in driver, or the use of an external driver circuit to power the coils. I do believe that MS3 has logic level outputs. (Please correct me if I am in error.)

What this means is that if you don't want to buy or build a separate 8 channel amp to drive the coils (I don't) then you cannot use direct fire coils such as Ford commonly used on their COP applications, which is a shame because they were a nice looking and compact coil. Small, cylindrical and with the lead coming right off the end.

I believe the coils GM used on the LS series motors are logic level coils and have a built in driver. But pretty is one thing they are not. I'm waiting for an attractive logic level coil to show up before I proceed with the MS3 (well among other things).

Jim

lars49
Larry Barnes
Colorado Springs
(177 posts)

06/11/2009 02:12PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB GM LA1 3400 V6

authors avatar
Posted by: lars49
Date: July 05, 2013 05:53PM

For a selection of what coil designs are available, check this out. I came across it today while trying to determine if my ICM had a tach output.

[www.regitar.com]

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: July 05, 2013 06:22PM

Curtis, The LS coils don't look bad if you make a bracket to mount them on the head. Or fenderwell.
IMG_0425_zps77b3294a.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2013 06:22PM by mgb260.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 05, 2013 10:49PM

If I ever go that route, they won't be on the valve covers. A lot of rodders hide them. Put them behind the dash, the cowl, down on the subframe, anywhere out of sight.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 05, 2013 11:03PM

Yes but then you have all those plug wires. That was the beauty of using the Ford coils, they could plug right onto the spark plugs and you could mount them above on a slim rail attached to the valve cover bolts.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 05, 2013 11:19PM

I thought we were pretty much used to having plugs wires coming out of the engine. Kinda like headers, radiators, carburetors.....all that good stuff. ;)

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 06, 2013 01:09AM

Good insights - Keep 'em coming!

I expect to change from block-hugger to RV8-style headers after the ignition upgrade... That may add extra complexity to the problem. I don't want to design two different coil & cable installations.

Larry's link is enlightening. The OEMs have developed a mind-numbing variety of coils, very few of which look promising.

I like the photo Jim N. posted above... it certainly demonstrates that the coils will group tighter than GM puts them.

Perhaps I could put all the coils on my firewall, in two decks, stacked directly behind the respective valve covers. Art's suggestion (in another thread) that I should consider Buick 340 valve covers is timely. I have a pair of those laying around. One thing that differentiates them is they have welded-on clips for routing spark plug wires in four neat rows right down their length.

I may be "pretty much used to" the ugly spider of cables coming off my distributor, but that doesn't mean I've grown to like it. Bill Jacobson's solution of bringing cables up from underneath is the cleanest I've seen, but I don't have a lift and so I try to keep things serviceable from topside wherever possible.

(Gorgeous!)
http://www.britishv8.org/articles/Images-V15-2/Supercharger-A.jpg

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: July 06, 2013 03:22AM

Curtis, Here is a good picture showing the bracket design. All thread,locknuts and tubing for spacers. I think there is enough room on either side of your fresh air intake on the firewall or directly above the RV8 style headers.
IMG_9343.jpg

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 06, 2013 08:18AM

Coil relocation brackets

[www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com]

LS Coils.jpg

Or hide them under the subframe.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 06, 2013 11:12AM

On top of the subframe. There is plenty of room between the rail and the headers. Block huggers would be different of course. I ran the wires underneath on my last engine similar to Bill's but had one coil pack up where it was visible. That would be my second choice but I would prefer that the wiring be more accessible, hence the idea of hanging the coils off the lip of the valve cover.

Several MFGs make coils that look pretty good, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Audi/VW, Suzuki, Toyota, Landrover even. But there is no information about whether or not they use logic level inputs. For that they have to have at least 3 and probably four terminals plus the high tension lead.

May be time to browse the shelves of the local Advance store again.

Jim

WernerVC
Werner Van Clapdurp
Lynchburg, Va
(108 posts)

09/06/2009 12:56PM

Main British Car:
MGB 1977 Rover 3.5

Posted by: WernerVC
Date: July 06, 2013 11:20PM

Curtis,
I bought a coil bracket from Nigel Barker in the UK.
Here his e-mail : megasquirt.v8@gmail.com
Hope this helps you searching for coils and brackets

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: July 10, 2013 07:15PM

Hey Guys,

What about the stock Lucas/Bosch coils that are are already installed on the newer Rover engines? Or, what's wrong with a magneto ignition? All those race Ferraris, Alfas, Masers and all the motorcycles in the world were/are using them. Such a simple design if your engine has accommodation for a distributor.

Mine does not accommodate a distributor so I'll try to use the stock coil packs like Evan Amaya did. His web site is no longer online but he stuffed the coils back next to the firewall like stock Rover. I'll try to ressurect his site because I want to reference his photos.

Tim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 10, 2013 07:47PM

Well... magnetos have been obsolete since ~1964 when Lucas (of all companies!) introduced their crank-fired electronic ignition systems on Coventry Climax and BRM Formula One engines. (Detailed photos and explanation here!) Back in the day, the best magneto installations featured gears off the crankshaft. So, gear lash was relatively manageable compared to the bouncing timing chain set-up on my humble little Buick engine. Magnetos were for race engines... so no vacuum or mechanical advance features. By timing my ignition with a crank position sensor, I'll eliminate spark scatter! The MS3-Pro computer will make it really easy to tune vacuum and mechanical advance. I can have multiple tunes: one for road and one for track. MS3-Pro can even be programmed to provide slightly different timing/advance characteristics for specific cylinders!

I'm not sure that the Rover coils would be any cheaper than Chevy coils. I don't have any laying around, so I'd still have to buy them. I'm not sure about how they're wired/triggered either (e.g. "logic level" inputs or not.)

WernerVC
Werner Van Clapdurp
Lynchburg, Va
(108 posts)

09/06/2009 12:56PM

Main British Car:
MGB 1977 Rover 3.5

Posted by: WernerVC
Date: July 10, 2013 08:50PM

Curtis,
Here a picture of the bracket that will hold two 4 cyl coils from a Ford EDIS ignition system.
The distributor might be in the way of the bracket.
DSC03074SM.jpg

lars49
Larry Barnes
Colorado Springs
(177 posts)

06/11/2009 02:12PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB GM LA1 3400 V6

authors avatar
Posted by: lars49
Date: July 10, 2013 11:12PM

Magnetos obsolete?? Depends on the application.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 11, 2013 02:16AM

I know for a fact the EDIS coils are not logic level. However there is an argument to be made for the simple non-logic level coils. Fewer wires to each coil may make for a cleaner wiring job, the 8 channel coil amp could be hidden somewhere and I'm pretty sure there are coil amps available as modules. But personally, I like my wiring to be accessible.

Jim

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: July 11, 2013 08:42PM

Bill Jacobson, to put it simply, is an engine bay artist; who knows, he may be related to "Chip Foose"........ (LOL)

Here's what I've learned about the Ford, coil on plug, versus the GM coils; in our large fleet, we probably replace 15-20 (if not more) Ford, coil on plugs, for every GM coil. We've always figured that the extreme heat was killing the ford coils, and also, it turns out that we had to replace the boots on a regular basis as corrosion formed between the plug tip and the coil insert. Ford later on got wise and replaced them with silicone rubber boots.

Coil on plug have the cool show factor but if I had to chose, I would go with the GM coils and hide them just like Bill did. Ford hardly ever had any problems when they were using the DIS system on the early Crown Victoria.

My 2 cents

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 12, 2013 09:24AM

Hmmm... wonder if the MS-3 can be set up to run the Ford EDIS-8 with the two double coil packs and still independently time the cylinders using the wasted spark? Since I already have the EDIS system on the car it may be something to consider.

However as you say Jacques, COP has the coolness factor. I'm thinking one of the imports might be the place to look. Anybody have experience with those? A good reliable logic level coil with a clean appearance and a simple one or two lug mount would be just the thing. A longer boot would get it away from the headers, and the boot would need to be able to handle about a 45 degree bend.

I don't think anybody could fault Bill's engine bay treatment. Mine looks like a spaghetti factory by comparison. I would like to do something about that. Lately I've been looking at Summit's woven split wire looms. Kinda expensive and I'm not sure how it will look or perform. My aircraft lacing may look sort of trick but it doesn't really give that clean appearance and despite being able to see all the wires it still isn't that user friendly when you have to cut the lacing to get to anything. I've actually been thinking about installing a bulkhead plug for a separate engine wiring harness but that's way, way down on the priority list and may never happen.

Jim

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: July 13, 2013 02:33AM

Jim, Toyota's V6 also uses the COP, it's a little different mounting but it also experiences occasional coil failures. The EDIS uses its own independent module to take care of the ignition and timing, but I don't know how you could tie it to the MS-3 for fuel injection management??? The EDIS is the perfect ignition system for carburated engines........
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.