rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
What does your T5 feel like when shifting?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 05, 2013 09:19PM

Mine feels like the gears don't quite align making it feel like the shifter stops as the gears bump and then they align as it goes into the next gear. Seems pretty consistent 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. Haven't noticed it 4-5 or downshifting but haven't really paid attention to those shifts either. It definitely slows down shifting. Is that typical or a sign that it's showing its age and synchros are getting worn? It's a 94/95 Mustang unit -- supposedly rebuilt (4200 miles ago) but I don't know what they replaced. I do know it wasn't babyed before I got it. I don't have another T5 to compared to but my son's 06 mustang (T56) is way smoother and a friend's 2011 GT (also T56) is like butter.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: What does your T5 feel like when shifting?
Posted by: danmas
Date: September 06, 2013 01:44AM

Rob,

T5s are known for poor shifting. I have to get the lever in just the exact position or its very hard to get in gear. I'm learning to shift better, but it's a long way from the smoothness of my Toyota. I have a very short shift lever, which adds to the problem. I made a longer shift lever for it and that helped, but I couldn't stand the long throws so I went back to the short lever. The biggest problem is going from 2nd to 3rd, or from 5th to 4th. I've found that if I let the lever go to find its own place, it will automatically go to the center position and then it's just a straight throw forward for 3rd or back for 4th. Just a little pause helps.

No problem at all on 1st-2nd, 2nd-1st, 3rd-4th, 4th-3rd,or 4th-5th - it's just a problem getting from the outer gates to the inner gate: 2nd-3rd and 5th-4th, mostly 5th-4th.

I'm hoping to find an aftermarket shifter - Hurst, for example - that might make it better. I'd like to hear from those with a good aftermarket setup

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: September 06, 2013 07:20AM

Rob and Dan, perhaps its the shifter. The OEM unit is marginal and when worn ,must be poor. The B&M model "Ripper" in my car will not shift smoothly if YOU try to hit the gears. When you move the lever and let it hit the gates, all is well. It took me a long time to determine I did not need to force the shifter, it would hit them. Hope this is of some help.
SAFETY FASTER!

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Posted by: kerbau53
Date: September 06, 2013 08:42AM

Until I actually get to drive my car in a couple weeks, I can't say. But, there's always a but isn't there? I had an F150 with a T5 years ago. The shifter was always a tad vague but with the long throw and a bit of patience (not my strong suit) I made friends with it.

mstemp
Mike Stemp
Calgary, Canada
(223 posts)

11/25/2009 07:18AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Rover 4.6L

Posted by: mstemp
Date: September 06, 2013 09:18AM

I used a new Ford MS T5 with its factory short shifter, It shifts very smooth. I do however shift as I was tought to by my father as a kid, softly! The springs between the side gates are there for a reason, to guide you into the 3/4 plane just as Kelly mentioned. These are not a race box and they do not have the same sort of synchro rings/dog teeth. The more power you have the gentler you should be. Maybe it's a factor of what gear box you were brought up with, Muncie or VW/Audi/Porsche?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 09:23AM by mstemp.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 06, 2013 11:52AM

I believe there's a big difference between Mustang and Camaro (OEM) shifters.

I bought my Chevy-style T5 brand new way back in ~1991 or '92. I use an earlier Chevy Camaro junkyard shifter, shortened quite a lot. I don't perceive my T5 as fussy about going into gear, just that gear shifts require too much muscle. Even with an MGB length shifter, I'm pretty sure my T5 would still feel stiff but it has improved as it has slowly broken in.

I agree with Mike that it's definitely not a racing gearbox - it's not designed for really quick shifts and neither is my pressure plate (etc.) - but you should be able to get a T5 set up well enough that it'll never cause you to miss a shift along a twisty mountain road.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 06, 2013 05:48PM

Thanks guys. I've not felt like i was going to mis-shift, just that it takes more effort to get into the next gear than it should. It's not a matter of lining up right. My shifter is a steeda clone. Guess i just need to get used to it.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: September 14, 2013 08:12AM

There are much smoother shifting trannies than the T-5. My stock MGB trans shifted better. I once drove a Jag XJS with a T56 in it. It shifted so much better (shorter throw, too) that I briefly considered cramming one in my B.

There may be some slick shifting tricks or mods for the T-5 that might be worth pursuing.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: September 14, 2013 12:21PM

Rob, It could have slightly bent shift forks from before you put in the aftermarket shifter with stops. The stock shifter had no stops . I had a stock S10 shifter in my little pickup with the 1" homemade spacer you see on the web to shorten the throws drilled and tapped for stop bolts. Cut down the lever quite a bit. Seemed better than stock but still a little bit clunky or notchy compared to other trans. You could adapt a Toyota R154(Supra) trans. Advance Adapters Ford to AX15(same pattern) adapter plate. Also the lube you use affects the syncros and shifting. The old Dexron ATF was specified for the World Class T5. The newer stuff is too slippery,so is synthetic. Try to find the old Type F ATF it is the least slippery and will help the syncros slow down. Readjust your shift stops to just touch in second and third with your hand off the lever. Back off 1/4 turn and tighten the locknuts. You could call Tony at Astro Performance for more info on the T5.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 01:39PM by mgb260.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: September 14, 2013 10:21PM

Interesting. I don't look at the T5 as a poor shifter at all. They feel good to me.

-BMC.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: September 14, 2013 11:27PM

Quote:
Interesting. I don't look at the T5 as a poor shifter at all. They feel good to me.

Compared to the Saginaw I had in my '68 Nova, they are slicker than snot (that transmission was a pig). Compared to the five-speed I had in my '78 Celica, they (mine) feel like stirring a stick in a box of rocks. fifth--->fourth is particularly problematic for me, especially when I need to do it in a hurry.

I'd be very interested in what others have experienced with aftermarket shifters.

Dan Jones
Dan Jones
St. Louis, Missouri
(280 posts)

07/21/2008 03:32PM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5L Rover V8

Posted by: Dan Jones
Date: September 16, 2013 01:01PM

> Mine feels like the gears don't quite align making it feel like the shifter
> stops as the gears bump and then they align as it goes into the next gear.

Neither of mine feel that way.

> Haven't noticed it 4-5

I can beat the shift from 4th into the tall overdrive if I hurry it but I've
never had that happen on any other shifts.

> Is that typical or a sign that it's showing its age and synchros are getting worn?

It's not typical.

> I don't have another T5 to compared to but my son's 06 mustang (T56) is way smoother

Did he swap out the factory-fitted Tremec TR-3650 transmission?

> a friend's 2011 GT (also T56) is like butter.

Did he swap out the factory-fitted Getrag MT-82?

> I had an F150 with a T5 years ago. The shifter was always a tad vague

Did you swap the factory installed transmission for a T5? Ford used a
Mazda-sourced 5 speed (M5OD-R2) in the Ford F-150, Rangers and Thunderbird SC
and a ZF 5 speed in the diesel bigger trucks

> I'm hoping to find an aftermarket shifter - Hurst, for example - that might make it better.

I replaced the factory shifter with a Hurst way back in the late 1980's on a 1987 Mustang GT
that still serves as my daily driver. It was a noticeable improvement and comes with
adjustable external stops to keep from over-shifting. A Ford tech I know mentioned reports
of T5 shifting problems being traced back to fluid changes with cheap ATF fluid. I use
the Motorcraft stuff from my local dealer.

Dan Jones

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: September 16, 2013 05:47PM

Hey guys,

I actually have something to comment on from experience, instead of asking for it. The T5 in my '93 S10 (bought new) felt like driving a 3-on-the-tree. My '69 MB 280 4-on-the-tree shifted faster than that thing. The T5 wasn't sloppy, just slow, long throws, and wide, vague gates. That said; I've driven 911s and Ferraris in the 70s & 80s that weren't for people with ADD. Those were no picnic if you weren't concentrating on each shift. Good luck getting from 2-3 in a hurry. The '75 Celica GT tranny I dumped in my MG behind a Rover V8 in '76 was cobbled together and shifted like butter.

Tim

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: September 18, 2013 03:54AM

I autocrossed my MGB V6 with the T5 on Sunday. The 1-2 shift was very smooth, fast and easy. It was a non-issue.

I do agree with one comment made about the early Celica in my own findings. I had a 1972 Datsun 510 Estate and that was the easiest and smoothest shifting vehicle I ever had. Actually learned how to drive almost all the time without the clutch. Interesting car.

Other than that, I have never owned a vehicle that was smoother than a decent T5.

-BMC.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(490 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: September 18, 2013 02:09PM

Rob,

I have a new T5Z with a Steeda TriAx. Shifts great and is nothing like you've described. Don't know what the problem with yours is, but "... it ain't right."

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: September 18, 2013 06:19PM

Rob, another thing to look at is the nylon bushing under the shifter. They wear out and get sloppy or break.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: September 19, 2013 12:12AM

Hello Rob there are a couple of tricks to making a T5 shift fast and smooth my car runs a world-class T5 different cink rings it was built by d and d in Wixom Michigan 5th gear is always a little slower partly because it's a big change the stock Mustang T5 runs plane brass sink row rings the first thing you need to do is run synthetic ATF in the trans I've never seen one shift good on anything else as far shifters go the stock shifters are throwaway D D performance builds quality CNC aluminum short throw shifter's I bought my shifter when I had them go through my transmission they had five different kinds of shifters all different names like Steeda Triax and others all the same thing made right thar my shifter just says D&D hurst also makes a pretty good one I have a very nice one of those laying in the garage that I picked up with something but anyway if your sink rings are good and you have a good short throw shifter with synthetic ATF in the trans it should snap through the gears barely even touching the clutch it is crucial to have a shifter that has adjustable stops or you will bend or wear out shift forks

the world-class T5 is clearly smoother than the plain T5 but they both I think shift better than the Toyota I shift mine at 7000 RPMs barely touching the clutch and only miss third gear about one out of 100 shifts Brad Penn oil also makes a high tech very thin ATF that works just fine that's what I'm running in the car this year my car seems to run the best on b and M trick shift ATF the people at D&D suggested Amsoil ATF I've never tried it

if your transmission grinds going into gear you probably have warned sink rings

if you just have to push hard you need lighter oil to channel out of the sink ring grooves

if it is hard to cross over second to third or sloppy you needed new shifter and replace the bushing underneath

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2013 07:32AM by tomsbad6.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.