Jeff

(11 posts)

12/06/2009 11:33PM

Main British Car:

60V6 Sound Files
Posted by: supertweet
Date: October 01, 2013 07:44PM

Hello all,

Was wondering if those with a swapped MGB would like to share their exhaust sound files or videos. Getting ahead of myself, as my project is still at the chassis-fabrication stage, but I've spent months on each planning stage, and now find myself wondering how to make my Volvo 1800E sound era-appropriate with the LX9 3500 motor.

It's not an MGB, sorry, but your forum is more active than Brickboard and more applicable for the swap than the Fiero board, so was hoping you guys can help. For reference, my motor will have a ported upper induction and appropriate camshaft; room for manifolds is yet to be determined, but I'm hoping for as equal-a-length primaries and a non-vertical, stepped collector, leading to whatever exhaust will sound best.

Much of what I've heard on Youtube/etc. with these motors have owners trying to emulate a "bassy, V8" sound. Nothing wrong with an LS etc., but I'm looking for more of a "dry, mechanical, 'vintage' " type tone. It's an injected pushrod mid displacement V6, and understand I'm not going to reproduce an OHC, Webber'd/Su'd vintage motor, but would still like less boom and resonance, and less of that GM turbine whine, and more of a metallic growl. Think the following:

246 Dino [www.youtube.com]
TR6 [www.youtube.com]
AMAZING Maser A6G 54 [www.youtube.com]

If you all would like to post your sound files here, I'd appreciate it. Note, I put a similar post on 60v6.com, so if you peruse there as well sorry for the double post.

Jeff

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: 60V6 Sound Files
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 02, 2013 04:32AM

Good idea to build a sound comparison thread here!

I hope people post a bunch.

Here are a few 60v6 files from one of BritishV8's sponsors to get things started:

Classic Conversions' v6 sound files

supertweet
Jeff

(11 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 02, 2013 05:28AM

Thanks Curtis for getting this started. I don't want to link others' files unless okay. If so, let me know and I'll post some as well.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(562 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: October 02, 2013 09:36AM

Hi Jeff

Not sure if you can hear this very well but this is my 3.1 FWD V6 on the dyno. I'm running 34" equal length (within 1.5") headers with 1.5" primaries and 2" collectors. The headers go into a Y and then a single 2.25" exhaust pipe with a cherry bomb muffler and a Hooker resonator tip. Others may disagree but I think it has a vintage sound to it.

[www.youtube.com]

Scott

supertweet
Jeff

(11 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 02, 2013 02:47PM

Hi Scott,

I hadn't seen this file in my searches, why I'd hoped to solicit some... Thanks! Under load it's indeed the sound I'm looking for. Do you have a file of it's idle or in-car?

Lovely B, and thank you for the detailed exhaust rundown.

I problem, if it can be called that, I've discovered is the LX9's sound quite a bit different to me than the earlier 3400/3.1/2.8 lumps; it's a more anodyne "wooshy" turbine tone rather than the mechanical growl of its predecessors.

Any others? I'm sure a place where those can listen to what their cars might potentially sound like would be lovely; I can't be the only one so vain...

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 02, 2013 05:24PM

Jeff, please feel free to link...

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(562 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: October 03, 2013 09:06AM

Jeff,

I don't have any other sound files of the car at the moment. If it's important to you, I can try to get one at idle.

I'm skeptical that the LX9 is that much different sounding than it's cousins. I have the 3100/3400 heads/intake manifold on my motor...the LX9 is very, very similar. Are you sure it wasn't differences in the exhaust you are hearing?

Scott

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 03, 2013 09:19AM

There could be major differences apart from the cars too. E.g.: What microphone was used, etc.

supertweet
Jeff

(11 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 19, 2013 03:52AM

It could just be me, the sound difference, but no matter whether long/short exhaust (Fiero or front engine), modified or stock, the LX9 always sounds more sewing machine than the older mini-v8 without the sub-bass of the older engines. Even the beastly SuperDave NA LX9 still sounds distinctly 3500 to me.

Either way, irrelevant; both engines, in sound clip files at least, sound pretty great, and I believe I can play with header tuning and front-load induction, as well as the drivetrain mods, to get something appropriately vintage.

As to clips, here's a great onboard of a Fiero swap prepping, staging, then running a dragstrip pass; I believe it's internally stock, no idea on exhaust except Fiero's I believe run very short-primary'd manifolds and minimal tubing to mufflers right at the exhaust tips; the nitrous won't affect the sound.

[www.youtube.com]

Here's a transverse LX9 w/ the stock Grand am exhaust, save for a loud series Flowmaster single in/dual out muffler. Exhaust leak?

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.